PSA Build - Any insight/recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bow02hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I've looked around the forum and online a little bit and have been leaning towards putting together a Palmetto AR. This will be my first build and looking for it to be under a budget, don't really want to spend more than $800, which shouldn't be too difficult by just looking around on their website. Any recommendations for one of their kits over another. I noticed there were several different barrel types, and experience with them or recommendations there? Think I would go with either a 14.5" with pinned flash hider or 16" barrel. Plan to just get the stripped lower and then assemble it myself. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    good products as far as I can tell and from what I hear....I haven't had the opportunity to give mine "the treatment" yet, but you won't have a problem staying within your budget.....I build all of my own AR's and for family/friends...and if you're simply looking for a basic 16" carbine no fancy gadgets/accessories....I usually land in the $600-$650 range....never broke $670 on one similar to what you're looking for and it only reached 670 because it was a build for someone else and needed mag(s).......the only one I did which reached $650 had a quad rail handguard, forward grip, and flip up sights front and back....the rest have been 600-630.....you'll have plenty of $$ for ammo

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    go 16 inch barrel. If you go pinned 14 inch barrel, doing any sort of handguard swaps gets alot more tedious. plus your overall length is still virtually identical.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    For the pivot pin I used pliers to hold the detent and pushed it in a little ways, then held it in with a razor blade and slide the pivot pin it, worked like a champ the first time. Roll pin punches would help but they are not "needed". Brownells makes a special bolt catch punch that comes in handy. And you also will need a castle nut wrench. That is about it for the tools. Also when I assembled my lower I found that gun cleaning brushes, they kind of look like a toothbrush and are square in the handle, are a good height to support the ears when installing the trigger guard.

On to the PSA parts. I used a LPK from them and it seemed to be good quality. Everything went in fine. I have also heard good things about their upper and their lowers as well.

If you have any questions there are a lot of people on here that would be more than happy to help you out.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I love my PSA build. I used the Dissipator upper, MOE lower build kit, and PSA stripped lower.

0ebcac84.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I love my PSA build. I used the Dissipator upper, MOE lower build kit, and PSA stripped lower.

Nice rifle! Looks almost identical to what I just built out of all Delton parts. Dissipators are awesome rifle getting the best of both worlds.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I noticed that PSA just changed their website. I really like the upgrades, but I can't find the stainless barreled uppers I was looking for a day ago.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I hadn't gotten around to posting about this build yet, but this made me snap a picture. It's got PSA guts and came together right before Christmas.

ar15.jpg

Parts:
    SAA Lower (Aero Precision like PSAs)
    PSA Cold Hammer Forged 16" Mid-Length Dissy Upper
    PSA LPK with Geissele SSA trigger
    Stark SE-1 Grip
    Vltor EMOD Stock
    Troy Fixed Rear Sight
    Magpul RVG
    Ares Amentum Slider Sling

I have an IWC Mount-N-Slot to install in the front handguard eventually...just haven't gotten to it yet. I'll be picking up stuff to reload .223 soon. I haven't shot it yet, but I like the way it feels.

I picked up one PMAG, but I haven't decided on what mags I want to stock up on yet. I really like the looks of the Troy Battlemags.

Top Bottom