PSA Build - Any insight/recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    A few prices were increased, and others are no longer on sale. Also, most uppers are now available without BCG, and their original price will be reflected once the BCG is added.

#@$% it I was going to order a 20" kit last week for under 600- and decided to wait a few more weeks. You snooze you loose. Just my luck.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    ^Nice looking rifle, I really like the Dissipator look.

I love the dissipator kit. Not sure of the color yet but mine will be PSA upper and lower.

Nice rifle! Looks almost identical to what I just built out of all Delton parts. Dissipators are awesome rifle getting the best of both worlds.

Thanks guys.

Here it is with the new Millet DMS I got for it.

IMG001.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Are we talking true dissipator uppers or the mock ones?

A dissipator is a dissipator in my book. So long as its a 16" barrel with a full rifle length sight radious and is reliable then they're all good. Some prefer one gas system over another, but I haven't had any problems with my full rifle length gas system yet. So long as the rifles work its all good.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    A dissipator is a dissipator in my book. So long as its a 16" barrel with a full rifle length sight radious and is reliable then they're all good. Some prefer one gas system over another, but I haven't had any problems with my full rifle length gas system yet. So long as the rifles work its all good.

The reason I ask is I was under the impression that the longer sight radius was a good thing but the idea behind it was for smoother function and less recoil with the rifle length gas system. I have been wrong previously though.

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    Hers is how I did mine. Take into account I had some black friday deals as well.

-$449.99 16in upper with lower parts kit(black friday)
    -$49.99 stripped lower(black friday)
    -$49.99 lmt fixed rear sight(botach deal)
    -$75.00 magpul ctr stock
    -$100 midwest industries 2 piece free float quad rail(ingo deal)
    -$35.00 magpul af2 grip.
    -$29.99 magpul sling point
    -$35.00 magpul gen 2 sling
    -$7.00 for 4 od green rail covers(that dont match buying new ones)
    -$18.00 magpul trigger guard(Aluminum)
    -$15.00 pmag
    -$85.00 for 7 fully loaded metal mags(ingo deal)
    -$10.00 thermo mold mag(used)
    -$23.00 magpul grip rubberized

Started as this:
    IMAG0314.jpg

Ended like this:
    IMAG0359.jpg

Grand total: $ 909.96 give or take i didn't have all the receipts in front of me. Call it $925 for safety.

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Mine is their mock dissy. It's a midlength 16" gun. But the gas block is low profile, then a regular front sight block is added in the rifle position, and a rifle handguard is installed over the actual gas block. You can see it when you look down from the top. Benefits of a mid-length, but with rifle length site radius. Some day I'll put on a VTAC free-float, pushed out to the end. This way it'll save me messing around putting a low profile gas block since it already has one.

I'll probably wait until I learn to shoot with irons before that change.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    A few prices were increased, and others are no longer on sale. Also, most uppers are now available without BCG, and their original price will be reflected once the BCG is added.

And this is yet one more reason why PSA is a great choice. They are active on the forum and are quick to respond to any questions/concerns!
    +1 for PSA:yesway:

bow02hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I hadn't gotten around to posting about this build yet, but this made me snap a picture. It's got PSA guts and came together right before Christmas.

ar15.jpg

Parts:
    SAA Lower (Aero Precision like PSAs)
    PSA Cold Hammer Forged 16" Mid-Length Dissy Upper
    PSA LPK with Geissele SSA trigger
    Stark SE-1 Grip
    Vltor EMOD Stock
    Troy Fixed Rear Sight
    Magpul RVG
    Ares Amentum Slider Sling

I have an IWC Mount-N-Slot to install in the front handguard eventually...just haven't gotten to it yet. I'll be picking up stuff to reload .223 soon. I haven't shot it yet, but I like the way it feels.

I picked up one PMAG, but I haven't decided on what mags I want to stock up on yet. I really like the looks of the Troy Battlemags.

Does the handguard have a rail on the bottom that the forward grip is attached to? If no, can you attach some rails for accessories?

I think I would rather have a free-float or drop-in rail handguard, any preferences or recommendations here?

Thanks for all the information so far, very helpful!

Last edited:

bow02hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    Also, I think I know the answer, but it is worth the extra $50 to go with the FN hammer forged CMV as opposed to just their standard CMV barrel? Lightweight, regular or heavy barrel?

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Does the handguard have a rail on the bottom that the forward grip is attached to? If no, can you attach some rails for accessories?

I think I would rather have a free-float or drop-in rail handguard, any preferences or recommendations here?

Thanks for all the information so far, very helpful!

The MOE handguard has a MOE grip that can be mounted directly to it. If you'd rather use a different grip you can buy the MOE rail sections and put them anywhere on the forend that you see a slot.

Free floats are nice if you're going to try to get every bit of accuracy you can out of a rifle, but they cost more too. I put a Daniel Defense Omega 7 rail on a carbine because it was a lightweight, free float, rail that required no gunsmithing to install. That cost me some money, the MOE by comparison is just a drop in the bucket and may or may not be more comfortable to you than the standard forend.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Me and my dad ordered my PSA upper on the 24th. Hasn't arrived or shipped.

Please allow up to 10 business days for your upper to ship. Holiday and special sale lead times can be longer.

^^^ straight from their site. My guess is with the combination of 2 holidays and if it was a sale item, you'll be getting an email before too long. Got to figure they took at least 2 days for Christmas and a day for New Years. If you figure 3 business days, you'd have been looking at the 11th. If it was a sale item, you might add another day or 2. Which upper was it? I thought for the one you built already, it was something else and the SBR you were talking about...you were going a different direction.

Also, hook me up with a job because you've got more money to spend on guns than I do. I can mow lawns and deliver newspapers.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Please allow up to 10 business days for your upper to ship. Holiday and special sale lead times can be longer.

^^^ straight from their site. My guess is with the combination of 2 holidays and if it was a sale item, you'll be getting an email before too long. Got to figure they took at least 2 days for Christmas and a day for New Years. If you figure 3 business days, you'd have been looking at the 11th. If it was a sale item, you might add another day or 2. Which upper was it? I thought for the one you built already, it was something else and the SBR you were talking about...you were going a different direction.

Also, hook me up with a job because you've got more money to spend on guns than I do. I can mow lawns and deliver newspapers.

This is a new project. I got another upper for XMAS. I earn money at different times in the year. Summer is the biggest. I going to strip this upper and study it (I'm gonna have a bunch of spare parts lying around). I'm going to build my upper for my SBR build. I like PSA. PSA is my favorite company for AR parts, but the shipping is killing me. Its the 4140 upper.

P.S.
    Socom mikes comment about me having little working knowledge of guns drove me to do this. I know am going to strip every gun I can find and learn about the parts

Last edited:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Also when I go to their website it says its out of stock. ( I ordered it before it was out of stock ) Could that explain the delay in shipping?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    This is a new project. I got another upper for XMAS. I earn money at different times in the year. Summer is the biggest. I going to strip this upper and study it (I'm gonna have a bunch of spare parts lying around). I'm going to build my upper for my SBR build. I like PSA. PSA is my favorite company for AR parts, but the shipping is killing me. Its the 4140 upper.

P.S.
    Socom mikes comment about me having little working knowledge of guns drove me to do this. I know am going to strip every gun I can find and learn about the parts

I don't think that you as a minor will be able to do the SBR. You are not legally even allowed to own a gun yet. What you are doing is studying the technical knowledge of the rifle. Working knowledge is actually gained by going out and using the thing, until it is a natural part of you, no thinking required.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    So I shouldn't try to the SBR? I've I addressed the the fact that I'm under 18 they are my dads guns until I'm 18.

Top Bottom