• ...and so much more!
  • Craigery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    NW Indianapolis
    Hello!

I'm obviously very new to assembling AR-15s. Welp I finally finished my AR but in the process I noticed something. I bought a complete upper with a PSA Cold hammer forged barrel with a front sight post. The problem is that when I removed the front sight post to install a low profile gas block, I saw where they drilled into the barrel for the front sight post retaining pins. Is this bad to keep exposed? I hope it isn't because I would hate to have to install it all again and ditch my VTAC Alpha Rail :(

Craigery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    NW Indianapolis
    Awesome! I just wanted to make sure because it seemed like a pretty significant portion of the barrel assembly that was cut through so I was worried.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Mr. Craigery, if you are going to post about gory looking parts, you will need to go get yourself a free photobucket account and learn how to use it so you can show us what you're referring to.

Because, :postpics:

Craigery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    NW Indianapolis
    IMG_1525_zps5m37avbz.jpg

Here you go!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Sorry Craig, I've been.... away.

Those crazy PSA guys. I would be annoyed with them to the point of calling and asking them to fire the new guy that did that. But as MC6 points out, that is form & not function.

I continue to see product from them that is categorized as 'blem' & you have to work at finding the flaw, followed by 'oh, yeah, that is cosmetically unattractive'.

On that, if the barrel works for you, go!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Sorry Craig, I've been.... away.

Those crazy PSA guys. I would be annoyed with them to the point of calling and asking them to fire the new guy that did that. But as MC6 points out, that is form & not function.

I continue to see product from them that is categorized as 'blem' & you have to work at finding the flaw, followed by 'oh, yeah, that is cosmetically unattractive'.

On that, if the barrel works for you, go!
    If I understand the OP correctly, he ordered an upper with a standard front site with the impression that he could just swap it out for a low-pro gas-block. That isn't true as the OP found out, the standard front site has 2 taper-pins that are drilled into the barrel and typically the barrel is not coated underneath the site. I fail to see how PSA or any of their employees are at fault for that as you've alluded to.

Of course, maybe I'm just misunderstanding how the OP got an upper with a standard front site.

Craigery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    NW Indianapolis
    It's totally my fault for not completely understanding how the standard front sight is actually tapered to the barrel itself. I'm fine with it looking that way as long as it functions the same. I wouldn't want it to get so hot that it becomes weaker at that point. This is simply something where I will put a longer low profile gas block to continue to distribute the heat evenly. Thanks everyone!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    If I understand the OP correctly, he ordered an upper with a standard front site with the impression that he could just swap it out for a low-pro gas-block. That isn't true as the OP found out, the standard front site has 2 taper-pins that are drilled into the barrel and typically the barrel is not coated underneath the site. I fail to see how PSA or any of their employees are at fault for that as you've alluded to.

Of course, maybe I'm just misunderstanding how the OP got an upper with a standard front site.

I didn't understand that either. Still, common INGO practice is to hold the vendor at fault and chastise them for their oversight. (insert purple as needed).

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Is there any place I can take my FSB to get cut down and reinstalled on to my barrel? I would prefer local.

You have a dremel tool or angle-grinder? Either of those would work.

You can get a cheap angle grinder from harbor freight as cheap as $8 if you really watch the sales and use a coupon (I've decided $8 harbor freight grinders with a couple spares on the shelf is better than having a single high-dollar grinder that is still capable of a failure that leaves you out in the cold)

Craigery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    NW Indianapolis
    Alrighty! I got it installed after shaving the FSB down to size. I reinstalled it and the pins were still pretty tough to put in which is good! The only issue is that it looks like the gas block is canted 1 or 2 degrees to the left. This should be okay - right? I'm at work so I can't post a picture right now.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Alrighty! I got it installed after shaving the FSB down to size. I reinstalled it and the pins were still pretty tough to put in which is good! The only issue is that it looks like the gas block is canted 1 or 2 degrees to the left. This should be okay - right? I'm at work so I can't post a picture right now.

I would say yes, should be ok. It would be a bit different if you were using it for the front sight, but because you're not, it will function fine. 1-2 degrees won't lead to any major offsets that could cause problems with the gas-port etc so you're good to go.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    :ingo: And there is the solution! Now you've told him about the "ol' cut your fsb down for low pro" trick.

Very nice.

Top Bottom