• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fuzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    I recently purchased one of PSA's new Glock mag dedicated 9mm lowers for my 9mm AR15 project. PSA now seems to be perpetually "out of stock' on either of the two 16" uppers I had my eye on, so I'm looking for alternatives.

This is my first time not buying a complete AR, and I'm a little nervous about getting this right and not wasting my money. So, I was wondering if anyone has used another manufacturers upper with the PSA Glock lower and if anyone has a recommendation. I'm trying to stay around $500 for a complete upper.

Thanks!

ForceTA308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I just finished a 9mm AR pistol build on a New Frontier Armory billet glock pattern lower. I ended up going through MAS Defense on a 7.5" upper. I had read good reviews but don't have a range report yet. Worth checking out, however, it's a standard forged upper and doesn't have the last round bold hold open feature that some dedicated uppers do.

Merk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Jasper
    PSA is notorious to always being out of stock. They to replenish quick. As said, sign up for the email alerts.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I went with New Frontier Armory on my Glock mag lower as well. Very nice lower and not crazy expensive either, the fit n finish is spot on. I went with MASdeffense for my upper parts as well, I'm running a 10.5 barrel with one of their handgaurds. I will say when buying these be mindful of the Last Round Bolt Hold Open feature (LRBHO) the NFA lower does not have that feature built in, you have to run one of NFAs upper receiver's. Its not a huge deal for me but its nice to have. I cant speak to the other manufactures about their LRBHO but just make sure you look into it before you buy one. Currently I just have a standard slick side upper on min and my now SBR rifle has ran 100% no failures of any kind. Also if your going with a Glock lower make sure you get a BCG cut for glock mags, a standard 9mm BCG wont work their not cut thin enough to strip a round through a Glock small frame mag. I did end up going with a dedicated YHM 9mm buffer which I think has helped with reliability. MAS has very nice parts for very reasonable money, but as mentioned if you want to go with PSA you have to sign up for their alerts and have the money ready to go as soon as you get them or their quickly sold out.

Here is a quick video review I did on mine before I did the SBR stamp on it ( I need to do an update vid on it now)

[video=youtube;CvRBGLcIatk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvRBGLcIatk[/video]

NightFisher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Wow. This is actually really cool. Would you guys go Glock Mag or Colt mags? If you didn't own a glock pistol I mean. Don't the glock mags work at kind of a funky angle?

fuzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I already own the PSA lower so I'm stuck with either waiting for their uppers to be available or going out on a limb and trying someone eleses upper. I was hoping someone had gone down that path already and could offer some words of wisdom.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Wow. This is actually really cool. Would you guys go Glock Mag or Colt mags? If you didn't own a glock pistol I mean. Don't the glock mags work at kind of a funky angle?

20151116_143029pw_zpsjpci6mne.jpg

DKK_3505w_zpsxff3sf1o.jpg

Slight angle difference, but I don't see how that would affect performance.

CCC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2014
    Northeast
    I would think that any Colt style 9mm upper will work on your Palmetto lower. BUT, you must have a bolt cut to work with Glock mags. So, in other words, the bolt is the main difference between Glock mag and Colt type 9mm AR's. You can have a Colt style bolt machined to work with either setup.

fuzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    FWIW, I just thought I would close the loop on this thread. I got impatient and ended up going with the "Wraith 9mm" upper from Karri's Guns. It comes with the PSA Hybrid 9mm BCG and a nice full length free float keymod hand guard. Took it to the indoor range for the first time today to get the Vortex red dot dialed in and the gun ran great. I'm very happy with both the PSA Glock mag lower and the Karri's upper. No price advantage going with the upper from Karri's, it was just a matter of them having them in stock. Quick shipping too. First pic of of the completed build and the second is from a bag rest at about 17 yds.

20160601_122948-reduced.jpg 20160601_123052-reduced.jpg

Merk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Jasper
    Nice.
    I have been eyeballing one of these builds. I LOVE pistol caliber carbines.

The Wraith upper have the bolt hold open feature?

fuzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Unfortunately it doesn't. That's the only downside. On the plus side the upper on the Wraith is a traditional AR upper with the load assist and full length ejection port cover, so it gives you a more traditional AR look then the PSA "slick side" upper does.

And I although I forgot to mention it above, this gun is fun as hell to shoot!

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Unfortunately it doesn't. That's the only downside.

The bolt doesn't lock open on my PSA combo either. Has to do with the PSA lower. Won't lock open no matter which upper you use.

That's how I understand it. Someone more knowledgeable may correct me, though. ;)

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    ...it's a standard forged upper and doesn't have the last round bold hold open feature that some dedicated uppers do.
    I guess I'm missing something. What does the upper have to do with bolt hold-open? The follower pushes up on the lip of the bolt catch an stops the bolt from moving forward. Aside from the bolt itself, the rest is in the lower.

Last edited:

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I guess I'm missing something. What does the upper have to do with bolt hold-open? The follower pushes up on the lip of the bolt catch an stops the bolt from moving forward. Aside from the bolt itself, the rest is in the lower.

New frontier built the bolt hold open mechanism into their upper instead of the lower. The feature is apparently hard to accomplish with pistol caliber ARs.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    That's funny. My 9mm AR with a PSA block locks back most of the time. I shot around 300 rounds at the range a couple weeks ago and it didn't lock back only once. The rest of the times it worked just fine.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    That's funny. My 9mm AR with a PSA block locks back most of the time. I shot around 300 rounds at the range a couple weeks ago and it didn't lock back only once. The rest of the times it worked just fine.

The PSA colt mag version with the mag block is designed to lock back open. The PSA Glock mag version is different, and not designed to lock back open.

Top Bottom