• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Well, I ruined a factory Glock G34 barrel.

How did I do that, you ask?

I accidentally left the barrel soaking in a solution of peroxide and vinegar for a couple of days. The solution actually ate some of the barrel, leaving pits in the bore as well as making a nice notch in the locking lug.

I have used this solution for a long while, as it does a fantastic job of loosening lead and moly material from barrels. (I use a moly coated bullet for my G24 Limited gun.)

In the past, when using this solution, I only let the barrel soak for about 10mins and then rinse the barrel with hot water, then do a standard cleaning routine.

But, alas, I was in the middle of cleaning my G34 and got called into to work and just a few minutes ago realized my error.

The barrel is TOAST! And now in the circular file.

:n00b:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Where did you get this idea? vinegar will start etching metal within a few minutes.

From the manufacturer of the moly bullets I use.

However, they do state to only leave the barrel in that solution for about 10-20 minutes.

Again, this was an "operator error" situation, not a mfg problem in any way.

It was all my fault.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Well, I ruined a factory Glock G34 barrel.

How did I do that, you ask?

I accidentally left the barrel soaking in a solution of peroxide and vinegar for a couple of days. The solution actually ate some of the barrel, leaving pits in the bore as well as making a nice notch in the locking lug.

I have used this solution for a long while, as it does a fantastic job of loosening lead and moly material from barrels. (I use a moly coated bullet for my G24 Limited gun.)

In the past, when using this solution, I only let the barrel soak for about 10mins and then rinse the barrel with hot water, then do a standard cleaning routine.

But, alas, I was in the middle of cleaning my G34 and got called into to work and just a few minutes ago realized my error.

The barrel is TOAST! And now in the circular file.

:n00b:

Ouch! That surely makes for a bad day. Maybe if you rub some bacon on it?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Zoiks
    images

Well, better to use acetic acid than hydrochloric acid. I found that 3 mins with strong HCl works wonders in clearing sediment from my stainless steal coffee pot. More than 10 mins dissolves the stainless into a green liquid. Not good for tasty coffee.

Top Bottom