• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bow02hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    So I'm in a bit of a dilemma, one that we all like to be in, of which AR I should go with. Rock River has their operator 2 rifles for $1000 with free shipping Rock River Arms: NEW! RRA LAR-15 Elite Operator2. Here are the specs of the Elite Operator 2:
    • 16" Chrome Moly Barrel, 1:9 Twist, Midlength
    • ERGO SureGrip, RRA CAR Stock, RRA Half Quad Free Float Rail
    • Chromed Bolt Carrier Group
    • Two Stage Trigger
    • Stand alone rear sight and flip up front sight gas assembly
    • Comes with 2 mags and RRA case
    I've also been looking at a Palmetto for awhile now, they seem to be raising their prices a bit PSA 16'' Hammer Forged Midlength Light Weight upper - Complete Uppers - AR-15. Upgrading the furniture a bit, I can get one with a drop-in rail system for $885 (not including shipping) or $920 (not including shipping) with a free float rail. Here are the specs of the PSA Build:
    • 16" Chrome Moly Hammer Forged FN Barrel, 1:7 Twist, Midlength
    • MOE Grip, MOE Stock, Midwest Industries FreeFloat or Drop In Quad Rail
    • Chrome lined bolt and parkerized outside
    • Single Stage trigger
    • Standard front sight base
    The PSA would require me to get a low-profile gas block to add the rails and also I would be assembling the lower. Would probably removes the front sight base and get some rail mounte BUIS if I decide I need them. Not a problem for me and would like to build one myself, but the Rock River just seems to be a bit more bang for your buck. I can't say that I have a preference over the single or two stage trigger at this point, I'm not necessarily looking to shoot competition or long range accuracy with this build, but obviously the more accurate the better. Looking for some insight and recommendations. Thanks!

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you pick a free float rail that PSA sells they should be able to install it when they build the upper. I have that upper with same barrel with standard handguards and it shoots very well.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The 1:7 barrel will give you a little more variety in the bullet grain weights if you choose to. My PSA bolt group is built better than the RRA group I used on my first build, and the carrier is the correct FA style.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I just got rid of my RRA Elite Operator II because it weighed a ton! They ate nice but very heavy.

I built an AR with a PSA upper and I love it. Super light.

2012-02-09_12-18-36_207.jpg

bow02hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    Additional note: If I decide to not worry about the rail right now, that drops the price of the PSA build to $700 + shipping and taxes. Installing the rail myself is no biggie, the ones I was looking at were either drop in or just required to cut off the delta ring. I'm hoping to jump on this soon since PSA seems to raising their prices fairly regularly. Unfortunately, according to their website, just about every rail they stock is temporarilly out of stock.

RGriff69: Looks like a similar AR to what I was looking for, is that a 16" barrel? Just curious if you might happen to have the cabapility to weight it minus the optic? Think I'd prefer to have a quad-rail though. RRA says the operator weighs 8.0 lbs and I'm curious to see how that compares to your PSA build.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    +1 for Palmetto State Armory. PSA's rifles are almost completely mil-spec, and RRA's rifles are not. That matters to me, so the choice for me would be simple.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Additional note: If I decide to not worry about the rail right now, that drops the price of the PSA build to $700 + shipping and taxes. Installing the rail myself is no biggie, the ones I was looking at were either drop in or just required to cut off the delta ring. I'm hoping to jump on this soon since PSA seems to raising their prices fairly regularly. Unfortunately, according to their website, just about every rail they stock is temporarilly out of stock.

RGriff69: Looks like a similar AR to what I was looking for, is that a 16" barrel? Just curious if you might happen to have the cabapility to weight it minus the optic? Think I'd prefer to have a quad-rail though. RRA says the operator weighs 8.0 lbs and I'm curious to see how that compares to your PSA build.

I don't happen to have a small scale, sorry. It is a lot lighter than the RRA though. The handguard on the RRA is where it gets its weight.
    The barrel on my PSA is 14.7" with a pinned and welded flash hider.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have a PSA M4 and love it! My PSA also came with a mag and a case too, these were not mentioned on the website. Also, PSA has a lifetime warranty.

bow02hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I think that I've decided on the PSA, thanks for the input guys. Looking at the 14.7 Light Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Midlength upper with the MOE build kit, pinned and welded A2 flash hider. Planning to remove the front sight base and delta ring, throw on a low profile gas block and run a Rifle length Gen2 Midwest Industries 2 piece free float rail.

Has anyone had experience with PSA's customer service? I tried calling today and nobody answered the one number and on the other the voicemail was full. I was hoping they might be able to cut me a deal and just not install the delta ring and front sight base, maybe give me a little break on the price.

My next decision to make: do I go FDE on the grip, stock, and rail or just go black. Thought the FDE looked kinda cool, but thinking otherwise now. What do you think?

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I think that I've decided on the PSA, thanks for the input guys. Looking at the 14.7 Light Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Midlength upper with the MOE build kit, pinned and welded A2 flash hider. Planning to remove the front sight base and delta ring, throw on a low profile gas block and run a Rifle length Gen2 Midwest Industries 2 piece free float rail.

Has anyone had experience with PSA's customer service? I tried calling today and nobody answered the one number and on the other the voicemail was full. I was hoping they might be able to cut me a deal and just not install the delta ring and front sight base, maybe give me a little break on the price.

My next decision to make: do I go FDE on the grip, stock, and rail or just go black. Thought the FDE looked kinda cool, but thinking otherwise now. What do you think?

PSA's customer service was pretty good. The best way to contact them is by email. PSA is also a site supporter.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I don't think your going to be able to get the A2 sight off over a pinned and welded flash hider. You could just shave it down, turn it into a lo-pro and make it fit under a rail though.

That rail is a drop in style and keeps the hand guard cap and delta ring assembly.

I think your idea would work and look good if you shaved down the A2.

Last edited:

BIGSHIVES1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    :+1: for PSA! I bought a 16" mid-length/heavy upper about a month ago and haven't had the first sign of trouble. Would definetely buy another!!!

:ar15::ar15::ar15:

bow02hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I don't think your going to be able to get the A2 sight off over a pinned and welded flash hider. You could just shave it down, turn it into a lo-pro and make it fit under a rail though.

That rail is a drop in style and keeps the hand guard cap and delta ring assembly.

I think your idea would work and look good if you shaved down the A2.

Wow, I am an idiot. Kinda looked over that one....Thanks for the heads up.

The rail I was looking at requires you to remove the delta ring. Midwest Industries: Gen2 Two Piece Free Float

Last edited:

bow02hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    Well, damage is done. Ordered the 14.7" upper with MOE lower kit and MI gen 2 free float quad rail and some other goodies....(free shipping for $150+ on MI so yeah) Unfortunately I won't be able to build it since I am away for 3 months, but I'm excited. Just like opening day, it's like Christmas with guns :)

Top Bottom