• ...and so much more!
  • TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    when cutting down small bolts with your romex strippers, be careful to keep your meaty bits away from the cutting jaws.

View attachment 293538

I can attest that these are pretty damn sharp and will slice you good. The good news is I didnt cut all the way through the pad of my palm. So hopefully there is enough surface area under both sides of the cut for it to heal without stitches. I'm not bleeding through the gauze pad so I'm going to skip the ER and have my doctor check it out in the AM. Coincidentally I have my annual exam first thing tomorrow.

And man, it hurts worse now that it did when I actually did it. I'll spare you the actual photos.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    What a coinicidence! That's what *I* said!

Also, another PSA: Liquid bandage is NOT for childrens. It burns a bit.

For the past 24 hours I used athletic tape and folded over gauze pads to create a pressure bandage to hold it closed. Uncomfy as all get out. So I decided to try sealing it with liquid bandage for a little better closing power so I could use just a flex fabric band aid. I swear the carrier is Acetone because it smells like nail polish remover. :faint:
    My mom loved that stuff. Grandkids would get a cut or scrape she would grab it, they would run the other way.

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    In cases such as these, super glue is your friend.
    No, I am not joking.
    Clean and dry the wound, then super glue it together.

There are doctors now using super glue for a female contraceptive.
    Seriously.
    Injected into the fallopian tubes, it blocks the flow of eggs for 3-4 months before dissolving and needing repeat treatments.

th-1082700775.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Absolutely.
    My hands dry out and once in a while the skin will split on the end on my fingers.
    I get my hands into all sorts of things that dry them out.
    Whenever they split, I reach for the super glue.
    Wait for it to dry and buff the area down with Emory cloth (sandpaper) and I'm good to go.
    I was waiting for the fallopian tube part of that discussion...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ugh. Again.

I swear whatever virus or affliction Rhino has, I apparently now have as well. My poor right hand. If I dont end up like the literary character Tom Robinson in 10 years I'll be surprised. LOL

Was cutting a rutabaga last night for tonight's dinner and my thumb wasnt as flexed as I thought it was. I was using a chef's knife and using my thumb knuckle to guide the blade and my thumb was just a degree off. And since rutabagas are so hard, I was pushing a bit more than normal.

Having razor sharp knives in this case is a double edged sword. (no pun intended). While a dull knife would have glanced off my thumbnail at that extreme angle, it didnt. :faint:

On the plus side it was so sharp literally all I felt was the pressure of my thumbnail being cut. I didnt actually feel pain in my finger until the skin that shouldnt be in the open air was exposed to the air like I had ripped off my fingernail. I didnt even feel the thin layer of that sensitive skin I shaved off go. It bled a bit.

24 hours on it feels MUCH better but dayum. Last night and today was 5 kinds of burning.

Last edited:

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Ugh. Again.

I swear whatever virus or affliction Rhino has, I apparently now have as well. My poor right hand. If I dont end up like the literary character Tom Robinson in 10 years I'll be surprised. LOL

Was cutting a rutabaga last night for tonight's dinner and my thumb wasnt as flexed as I thought it was. I was using a chef's knife and using my thumb knuckle to guide the blade and my thumb was just a degree off. And since rutabagas are so hard, I was pushing a bit more than normal.

Having razor sharp knives in this case is a double edged sword. (no pun intended). While a dull knife would have glanced off my thumbnail at that extreme angle, it didnt. :faint:

On the plus side it was so sharp literally all I felt was the pressure of my thumbnail being cut. I didnt actually feel pain in my finger until the skin that shouldnt be in the open air was exposed to the air like I had ripped off my fingernail. I didnt even feel the thin layer of that sensitive skin I shaved off go. It bled a bit.

24 hours on it feels MUCH better but dayum. Last night and today was 5 kinds of burning.
    Ouch.
    Did that with a block plane one time. Was shaving a bit off a small piece of trim, and before I knew it I was missing half a fingernail! I keep all planes and chisels scary sharp, which as you said is a double edge sword.

From here on out, stay away from meat slicers and bandsaws. Don't need to hafta start callin' you "stumpy".

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    when cutting down small bolts with your romex strippers, be careful to keep your meaty bits away from the cutting jaws.

View attachment 293538

I can attest that these are pretty damn sharp and will slice you good. The good news is I didnt cut all the way through the pad of my palm. So hopefully there is enough surface area under both sides of the cut for it to heal without stitches. I'm not bleeding through the gauze pad so I'm going to skip the ER and have my doctor check it out in the AM. Coincidentally I have my annual exam first thing tomorrow.

And man, it hurts worse now that it did when I actually did it. I'll spare you the actual photos.
    When was your last tetanus shot? Might want to add one of those to your Dr visit

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    OP, I feel your pain. BTDT! More than once unfortunately. I keep super glue in my tool bag. Wait for glue to dry and wrap with electrical tape. I swear the tape adhesive has healing properties!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When was your last tetanus shot? Might want to add one of those to your Dr visit
    recent enough. I coincidentally had an annual exam scheduled for 8 hours later. (from OP) She took one look at it, said "Keep doing that" and sent me out the door. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom