• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have a PSL rifle with a scope rail that is too wide. Due to this I am bot able to mount my scope. Can anyone recommend a local gunsmith or machine shop that could mill down this rail for me in the Indianapolis area or close by?

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I have a PSL rifle with a scope rail that is too wide. Due to this I am bot able to mount my scope. Can anyone recommend a local gunsmith or machine shop that could mill down this rail for me in the Indianapolis area or close by?

Whaaaa ?

You cant get it to "saddle up"

Is it reaaaaaaal snug when you slide it on, super tight?

Dont force it , the clamp can and will break.

Loosen up the rail by taking out the little tab, right under the tightning lever.
    Take it off,
    rail1.jpg

In a small counter or counter clockwise motion turn the "gear" looking round piece with your lever, like a wrench, 1/4 of a turn.
    rail4.jpg

Slide tab back on after lever is set. Make sure its correct nub down.

See if its easier to slide on, if its tight or tighter you need to re adjust.

This sounds like the issue, not sure though, i can provide you pics on this if you need.
    These rails aren't made too different from one another your optic should always mount.

Now of course ya dont mount an svd style mount on an akm mount.

Send us pics if you can.

here is some other help if you need

http://www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/pso/clamp_adjustments.htm

http://kalinkaoptics.com/manual/SKSMounting.pdf

Last edited:

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    Sounds like you may have a mis-match scope mount to rail issue.

I had experienced the same issue with regards to a 6X PSOP scope. The scope would fit just fine on the rail of a Cur2 rifle of mine but would not move up the rail on my PSL.

I simply purchased the correct base for the scope, changed it out to one that would work universally for both rails and voila back in business.

Here's a link to another site that shows the various rails that are usually used on these rifles.

Russian Optics Applications

Not all of the rails pictured will interchange with the PSOP mounts. however this site may give you some insight to what will work for you.

I sold the scope a while back, however, I think I still have the base part that I brought (I can check when I get home and perhaps take some pics if it, if that helps)

-Mike

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Tac what are you sayin?
    were you trying to install a AKM 7.62, 5.45 optic on an SVD mount? Does that CUR 2 have the SVD style mount or AKM?

confused?

akm optics those optics used on 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 "their clamp" should always fit on akm rails
    svd stylePSO-1, IOR Romanian optics used with 308, 54R "their clamp" should always fit on SVD style rails :dunno:

They didnt make them to where a soldier had to mill out his optics rail when switching between accessories. IMO your using the right one or your not.

Last edited:

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    indyk, that's it in a nutshell, The POSP scope I had, had the AK mount, (which would work fine on the Cur2). The PSL had the SVD rail hence the scope wouldn't mount .

No milling required, Picked up the mount base from Kalinka and simply changed the mount on the POSP, it worked for both AK rail and SVD rail.

I hear you on the difference between calibers, and at the time I wasn't concerned about the cam of the POSP for the Cur2...never shot it past 150m so once I BZO'd it I was happy...

long and short of it, I ended up acquiring another dedicated scope for the PSL so it all became irrelevant anyway.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    It is worth noting that if your PSL is a TGI build odds are that your rail was never properly milled and you'll need to have a dovetail router taken over it.

This is a pain in the ass process.

I would stick with what IndyK said first. I heartily second his warning of over tightening the mount too. You'll break it if you go even a 1/4 turn to far. It should glide into place with a nice firm snug fit and no more.

If that fails and your rail dimensions are off then you are going to need to contact a gunsmith. Routing or taking your time with a nice high grade triangle file is the way to go from here. PSL rail problems have been well documented.

How to trim a PSL scope rail - The AK Files Forums

soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It is a TGI build. The rail is off bad. I was hoping to not have to file it by hand. If there is any suggestions on gunsmiths that can mill it please let me know.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom