• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have original HK91s. (I remember buying one for $300 when the DM was tanking in the early '80s).

After shooting some and talking, at length, with the guys from PTR at the NRA Annual Meeting in Indianapolis and have designs to pick one up.

The wood stocked PTR-91 has my juices flowing.:D

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the feedback all! I was looking at the target model guessing it would be pretty nose heavy. Kirk, I'm thoroughly jealous of your HK91s(plural). $300!! Is it true that the PTR folks were given specs and some original tooling form HK to build their clones? Also, I haven't looked around very much but it appears Atlantic Firearms carries these exclusively no?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is it true that the PTR folks were given specs and some original tooling form HK to build their clones?

Well, indirectly (via Portugal). I can bore you with the history, but this in generally correct.

Also, I haven't looked around very much but it appears Atlantic Firearms carries these exclusively no?

Sorry, I don't know PTR's distribution channels or contracts.

I know the direction of the company changed when JLD left in 2010. I would be surprised at an exclusive wholesaler arrangement.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I know the A3R was an Atlantic exclusive, but I don't believe all models are. I had an A3R actually, pretty slick rifle. Getting the trigger smoothed out is a must (Bill Springfield did a killer job on the one I had) and I would also change out the lower for a steel one. That said, they're a pretty nice clone if you don't want to shell out the cabbage for an HK.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I have original HK91s. (I remember buying one for $300 when the DM was tanking in the early '80s).

After shooting some and talking, at length, with the guys from PTR at the NRA Annual Meeting in Indianapolis and have designs to pick one up.

The wood stocked PTR-91 has my juices flowing.:D
    after watching macs video with his sar 3 he had a cemte with wood furniture im going to have to get a set for my century cemte knock off which mine my works very well by the way.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Loved my CETME but gifted it to my nephew last week...he needed a 308 MBR. So I bought one of these and the SIG brace for it should be here this week...

PTR 51 PDW

1c3c17bf-585e-4b1f-85ac-c4ddcfe72069_zps7c339815.jpg

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have owned several HK platforms in the past, 91s, a 93, and a MP5 as well as a MP5PDW and it is a very solid rifle no matter the caliber. The PTRs are being made in the US on tooling purchased from Portugal when that country dropped the 91 from it's military. My PTR is very well put together and while I don't have many rounds through it yet it performs flawlessly so far. I am sure with the new addition of a stablizing Sig arm brace which arrived yesterday I will get more rounds through it very soon.

b948ea98-0391-420e-958f-0271f1054801_zpsd960f543.jpg

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have one of the PTR-91 Classic rifles with wood furniture. I could not be happier with it. I've replaced the plastic lower with a steel lower and wood hand grip. I also have the collapsible stock. I plan to add the paddle mag release and to refinish the stock and hand guard to match the hand grip.

Here are a few photos.

First, the rifle as received.
    PTR-91asreceivedWEB_zps8bb40716.jpg

Next, with the collapsible stock.
    PTR-91withParaStockWEB_zps027552a1.jpg

And last, with the steel lower and wood hand grip.
    PTR-91withSteelLowerandWoodGrip_zpscd39d8b6.jpg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I cheaped out and went with Century CETME, but only with the cast stainless receiver. Even those can be hit and miss, but they're like the little girl with the curl: when they are good they are very, very good. They kick less hard than expected, and there is very little that can go wrong with them.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I cheaped out and went with Century CETME, but only with the cast stainless receiver. Even those can be hit and miss, but they're like the little girl with the curl: when they are good they are very, very good. They kick less hard than expected, and there is very little that can go wrong with them.

Pictures?

Top Bottom