• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Anyone have one of the PU Nagants that they are importing? I understand that they aren't real and original PU's but they still seem fun for $499. How's the quality of the scope? Any help would be great! :ingo:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I don't have a repro, but most people who have them seem to like them. If I was going to be doing a lot of shooting with a PU, I would much rather use a repro than an original. Anyway, it is my understanding that the scopes are made in the same factory as the originals were made in. The repros I have looked at had fairly good optics, clear glass but they aren't coated or nitrogen filled. Also, the field of view is very, very narrow. Also the reticule does take some getting used to.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Yes, they are a lot of fun. I bought one at Bradis a few years ago when they were $399. I have no problem that it is a repro. It goes to the range quite a bit.
    Izzy1942MN9130pu-1.jpg

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Anyone have one of the PU Nagants that they are importing? I understand that they aren't real and original PU's but they still seem fun for $499. How's the quality of the scope? Any help would be great! :ingo:

The recent Molot Snipers from Classic and Aim are real. The ones that originally came through RGuns are real. These are all Soviet-refurbed original snipers, not re-snipers, not reproductions done more recently using common Mosins.

If they are not Molot or RGuns (import stamp) PU snipers, it takes some expertise to determine of they are real PU snipers. In the past, many other companies have put scopes on common Mosins to satisfy the public's desire for snipers. This is because until the Molot ones started being imported from Russia, real PU snipers were few and far between. Now (at least right now) they are plentiful enough and cheap enough that there is no reason for anyone to make a reproduction. Who knows when the source will dry up. Now is a good time to buy, as they are sure to appreciate if you don't screw up the rifle with irreversible mods. Furthermore, a real PU sniper is not so expensive that it needs to be a wall hanger. Many people shoot their real PU snipers, and some are quite successfull all the way out to 1000 yards.

Owners of RGuns PU snipers typically don't like Molot PU snipers, I think this is due to their RGuns sniper now being worth less than it used to be (quite a few Molot PU snipers have been recently imported). The sour grapes owners may try to tell you that there is something fishy about Molot snipers, but Molots have been verified by the collectors to be authentic. The Russians were able to export them as "sporting rifles".

PU Scopes are 4X and have a pointer instead of a cross hair. They are rugged scopes and still work after 60 years. What is your criteria for defining quality?

Let me be clear about refurbished Mosin PU snipers. Original snipers were refurbished as snipers and any damage repaired, typically using piles of parts and scopes from different rifles - and then all were EP'd/re-stamped to match the barrel serial number and shellac applied to the stock before storing by the Soviets as a backup for WWIII! If they did not meet standards for snipers they were "decommissioned" as snipers and turned back into regular Mosins during refurbishment (ex-snipers). They are not as-manufactured originals with all the original parts intact. Such original Mosins are pretty much a myth due to battle damage and the Soviet refurbishment program. If you have an as-manufactured PU sniper with all original parts and no SA stamp (Finnish capture) you have a VERY rare rifle (actually I think a SA marked PU sniper with all original parts would also be a very rare rifle). The chance of a WWII bring-back of an original PU is incredibly small, and as I understand the Soviets refurbished virtually all Mosins in their posession. With the refurbs, some of the shellac on the stock is pretty sloppily applied - while others can be very nice. Also some bores are better than others. But these refurbed rifles have always been snipers - and virtually all were sniper rifles during WWII. How cool is that! Makes you wonder where that rifle has been and what was done with it.

FYI a Nagant is a pistol. Mosin-Nagant rifles are usually simply referred to as Mosins by those who know about Nagant pistols. Now you know too - so don't call it a Nagant!!

nagrevnew_1.jpg

Les

Last edited:

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Thank you Les, I was looking at the ones from Wienders (however you spell it) I will definitely order one of those instead of the replicas. I just need to sell all my Egyptian guns.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Tula 47, more info added in posts above.

Welcome to the world of Mosins!

Best wishes,

Les

Last edited:
    Top Bottom