• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    Just a heads up that they Orions in Jeffersonville has a rack of Mosin-Nagant 91/30 PU snipers in stock. $699. I looked at all of them. Nice guns from Molot judging by the stamps. These are legit rearsenaled snipers from the Ishy factory with struck-thru serial numbers on the side of the barrel and correct original PU scopes with mostly 1944 dates they are numbers matching as well. Plenty of interesting cartouches too. If you are interested, I'd check them out. Never seen them there before, probably won't get any more.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Im not trying to bash on the vendor, but I've just seen too many fake Mosin snipers labeled as the "real deal'".

People take reproduction scopes and slap them on ex-snipers all the time, and force match a serial number.

Id bore sight the thing first, and if the scope isn't DARN close to the line of sight through the bore, then I wouldn't touch it. Zero'ing a PU scope is a big pain in the butt - its not a matter of turning knobs like a modern scope. You have to file away and shim the side mount to a rough zero before adjusting the optic. Not worth the hassel IMO.

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    The scopes are authentic, not repos. The mounts look original with the rough machine marks too and the rifles themselves are authentic. The only question I have is, are these true arsenal refurbs or put together from parts. Some of the stocks show signs of recent cuts for the stock mounts though.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Didn't they pencil on the rifle's S/N on the optic? So would a true PU have matching numbers? If so, that's the only way if pay top dollar. That being said, I still really want one, though.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Been a lot of noise about the Molot rifles on the collector forums. Not very complementary either. And yes, there is some evidence that the snipers are recent put togethers using ex-snipers. Personally, for that kind of coin I would have to be absolutely positive that it is a for real sniper, and not a resnipered ex-sniper.

IndianaRob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I am with you John. There are a lot of put together snipers floating out there. Yes, for that money they better be matching without the forced numbers. I have been keeping an eye out and the true snipers are getting harder to find and the $$$ are on the rise. I am in N_K_1984's mind set though, as I still want one!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    This current years issue of "Military Surplus" magazine has a great indepth article on how to tell if a Mosin is a "real" sniper, along with all of the rifle and optics codes, and an indepth tutorial on how to properly zero the PU mount and optic system. Pictures for everything as well. Its worth digging up.

It came out several months back, but you may still be able to find a copy on the news stand, or online as a back issue.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Im not trying to bash on the vendor, but I've just seen too many fake Mosin snipers labeled as the "real deal'".

People take reproduction scopes and slap them on ex-snipers all the time, and force match a serial number.

Id bore sight the thing first, and if the scope isn't DARN close to the line of sight through the bore, then I wouldn't touch it. Zero'ing a PU scope is a big pain in the butt - its not a matter of turning knobs like a modern scope. You have to file away and shim the side mount to a rough zero before adjusting the optic. Not worth the hassel IMO.

Yes sir!!!! Aot of filing and trial and error...I had Jeff up at Ace Hardware in Scottsburg do mine for me and he said "Don't ever ask me to do that again...":):

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    ?.......Perty steep bank.......fer a ol' heavy-*** rifle.......:dunno:

RussianWWIILadySnipers.jpg

Top Bottom