• indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I just got a text msg on my personal cell that went like this:

Hey John! What a great day- I see you may possess <listed my home address> in Indianapolis. Do you have time for a call?

I think the amount of effort required for an individual to scrub the internwebz of their personal information is daunting. And I don't think the process is a 'one and done' prospect. Any time you do any kind of electronic transaction, your data goes into a database somewhere. And that database is available to anyone for a price and sometimes by illegal action.

It's no wonder cyber based fraud is increasing exponentially. It seems to be the price of convenience we as a society have become accustomed to. I'm just as guilty as the average person.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Hey John! What a great day- I see you may possess <listed my home address> in Indianapolis. Do you have time for a call?

I think the amount of effort required for an individual to scrub the internwebz of their personal information is daunting. And I don't think the process is a 'one and done' prospect. Any time you do any kind of electronic transaction, your data goes into a database somewhere. And that database is available to anyone for a price and sometimes by illegal action.

It's no wonder cyber based fraud is increasing exponentially. It seems to be the price of convenience we as a society have become accustomed to. I'm just as guilty as the average person.
    I get those all the time. Let's just say that I am less than polite to them when I reply just prior to blocking their number.

Lpherr

Occupied

Actually, that information is free. It also includes people you are related to, or may know. Any previous addresses, and a home phone number, if the person has one. Some arrest records are available also.
    If they contact you anonymously, they've simply put in a name with a zip, or city.
    Most of the time, it doesn't do any good to block them; they just call from another number. And they use the number they've just called, to call the next person, so it shows a name on caller ID. I get messages on the home phone from random people, asking why I called them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Actually, that information is free. It also includes people you are related to, or may know. Any previous addresses, and a home phone number, if the person has one. Some arrest records are available also.
    If they contact you anonymously, they've simply put in a name with a zip, or city.
    Most of the time, it doesn't do any good to block them; they just call from another number. And they use the number they've just called, to call the next person, so it shows a name on caller ID. I get messages on the home phone from random people, asking why I called them.
    The data is out there for the using. The credit bureaus have been hacked dozens of times.

Thack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Privacy laws have not kept pace with technology and that puts a lot of undue stress on people. I really think we need to start writing our elected officials, I for one think individual liberty outweighs any corporate or government interest.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I accidentally answered one of those calls and they hung up when I enthusiastically exclaimed “Sure! You can buy my house!”

I also answered one about a car warranty. They asked what my largest car purchase was. I told them I just bought a 1976 Ford Maverick and I needed a warranty for it. They got so frustrated they hung up.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I accidentally answered one of those calls and they hung up when I enthusiastically exclaimed “Sure! You can buy my house!”

I also answered one about a car warranty. They asked what my largest car purchase was. I told them I just bought a 1976 Ford Maverick and I needed a warranty for it. They got so frustrated they hung up.
    I got a spam call while I was under the tractor, covered in sweat, dirt and grease. The number looked similar to someone I was expecting a call from and didn’t want to chance missing the call so I took it. It was some young sounding dude wanting to sell me a car warranty. I stopped him mid pitch and said, dude, it ain’t happening. Yer just wasted both our time. So then he started cussing me out. WTF? Alright. That’s it. So I described what I did with his mother. I was pissed anyway and this little rat**** ************ wants to play like that?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The best was one of the guys at Bradis got a call about health insurance while I was there. He asked for half price insurance because his kids were dwarfs. As well as whether they would cover both of his wives. He lead them on for a bit and then finally the guy caught on and said "why do you have to do this? I'm just trying to make a living?" HE responded something like "so am I, Im at work and youre wasting my time cold calling me. Get a real job and you wont have to deal with guys like me."

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I spent a whole day contacting websites to remove me. It really cut the number of places Google finds me. Then I got a job where I'm in the local paper every month........

Top Bottom