Public school bull**** heard from my stepkids.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    With respect to political speech I agree with you. I attended public school in Indiana, and not a single one of my teachers ever attempted to engage me in political speech. It was an excellent public school, so perhaps we just had a better set of teachers.

I don't think indoctrination became a staple of public education until recent history.

I would expand the "worldview" issue to include concepts such as Creationism and Abstinence Education (sic), but that's an argument for another thread.
    No arguments from me. If it ain't the Three Rs, the "schools" don't need to be offering it.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    OMG........ Watching the election stuff on tv and the 2 stepkids want Obama to win..... I calmly asked them why and was told that their band teacher told them if Romney wins there will be no more school scholarships.....

If they were my kids I would start home schooling tomorrow.

Maybe the kids asked the teacher who he was voting for.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Maybe the kids asked the teacher who he was voting for.

"I plan to vote for the candidates who I believe best represent my interests. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to endorse a candidate given that I am in a position of authority over you, but when you are of age to exercise the franchise I would encourage you to do plenty of research and be an informed voter."

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I wouldn't send my child to a school that only offered Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rithmatic.

That should be your choice. And you should be free to go find a school you can pay that offers those thing. But don't ask me to do it. I have a problem paying for your children's extracurricular activities since I find the justification for tax-payer funded education to be a crock in the first place. Funding your rugrats' fun time is inexcusable.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    Same for me...

My girlfriend's kid comes home from school and says, I want Obama to win. I asked her why. She said that Obama is the President and he needs more time to fix the country and Romney will do bad things to our country. She's 8 years old. I asked her who told her that. She said one of her teachers did.

Now ok, I'm all for people having whatever opinions they want. After all, our forefathers fought and died so that people can be as misinformed and manipulated on the issues as they want. That's what makes this country great... I mean, er, mediocre. But its third grade. If you are going to pump children's heads full of propaganda for either side, could you at least bother to put some faulty reasoning behind it? I mean, its a great school. Actually its one of the best in the state. But honestly, if you want to try to brainwash other people's kids in believing like you, at least have the courtesy to offer a convincing lie.

And like you, if she was my kid I would be in the school office asking what part of the curriculum was being covered with that propaganda. No one talks to her about political views at home. She's educated on what is going on and why and everything is very objective so she can make up her own mind when she's old enough.

So they want to take out the creation story out of the classroom. Ok. That's the belief of some people and can't be proven. I understand that. But so is being a democrat. They can't have it both ways. Personal views and beliefs stay out of the elementary school. Let the parents raise their own children as they see fit.

Because honestly, If it was my kid... I'd be down at the school right now throwing a fit. I don't do that to their kids.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    That should be your choice. And you should be free to go find a school you can pay that offers those thing. But don't ask me to do it. I have a problem paying for your children's extracurricular activities since I find the justification for tax-payer funded education to be a crock in the first place. Funding your rugrats' fun time is inexcusable.

It's not about extracurriculars. A school that offered only those subjects would provide a substandard education. History, Geography, English (not the same as "'Riting"), Math (not the same as "'Rithmatic"), Economics, Physical Education, and Government/PoliSci are all examples of subjects one cannot simply skip and still be properly educated. Teaching the 3 R's is a great tactic to churn out factory workers, but it's no way to create a generation of citizens in the classical sense.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I worry about the day your children are allowed to think for themselves.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    My girlfriend's kid comes home from school and says, I want Obama to win. I asked her why. She said that Obama is the President and he needs more time to fix the country and Romney will do bad things to our country. She's 8 years old. I asked her who told her that. She said one of her teachers did.

OK, so I never had children, but I can't help but think when I read these posts why you all as parents don't go to the school board, with said teacher present, and call them out on it. Regardless of the outcome, your stance is documented. I would also seek out other parents to do the same. Play the PC card back at them. No prayer in school, fine, but stop indoctrinating my children to your political viewpoints. But that may just me MHO.

With respect to political speech I agree with you. I attended public school in Indiana, and not a single one of my teachers ever attempted to engage me in political speech. It was an excellent public school, so perhaps we just had a better set of teachers...

I remember once in grade school, our teacher decided to teach us how to have a debate. The Nixon impeachment was underway so she let us "debate" it. HAAAAA!!! THAT ONLY HAPPENED ONCE!

Last edited:

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN

Next you'll only want to pay taxes on the roads in your county you drive on and NOT those other roads you don't use.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's not about extracurriculars. A school that offered only those subjects would provide a substandard education. History, Geography, English (not the same as "'Riting"), Math (not the same as "'Rithmatic"), Economics, Physical Education, and Government/PoliSci are all examples of subjects one cannot simply skip and still be properly educated. Teaching the 3 R's is a great tactic to churn out factory workers, but it's no way to create a generation of citizens in the classical sense.

:ugh: Three Rs doesn't mean a literal limitation. It's a way of saying keeping the school offerings should be limited to academic endeavors, not the extracurriculars. At least not on tax-payer dime. I don't care if the government schools are the vehicle for access, but participation is funded by the participants, not the taxpayers.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    :ugh: Three Rs doesn't mean a literal limitation. It's a way of saying keeping the school offerings should be limited to academic endeavors, not the extracurriculars. At least not on tax-payer dime. I don't care if the government schools are the vehicle for access, but participation is funded by the participants, not the taxpayers.

What do you consider "academic endeavors?" Art? Music? Physical education?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I worry about the day your children are allowed to think for themselves.

Yes, the ad hom. Anything else you'd like to offer as a non-rebuttal to the points I've made?

Next you'll only want to pay taxes on the roads in your county you drive on and NOT those other roads you don't use.

Are your familiar with the concept of a public good?

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Yes, the ad hom. Anything else you'd like to offer as a non-rebuttal to the points I've made?

Are your familiar with the concept of a public good?

I am, I was just clarifying your position. I took your 3 R's post literally and then you clarified for me. I rescind my "road" post.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I don't think indoctrination became a staple of public education until recent history.

I think it has been going on for longer than you might think. In fact, it would appear you are currently debating some of the products of that.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think it has been going on for longer than you might think. In fact, it would appear you are currently debating some of the products of that.

Perhaps. I won't deny it. :): I graduated in '94 from a very large public high school in Indianapolis. I can't remember a single incident of a teacher using his/her position to influence a student's opinion to subvert the parental teachings (if it contradicted them). Not even in my World Lit class when we studied the holy writings of the various major world religions.

Of course it wasn't like one day the schools are just suddenly staffed with these kinds of teachers. The advance was incremental. It's possible it was in the earlier stages of the advance during my tenure and just hadn't reached my school/district yet.

Neither am I saying that it never occurred prior to a particular point in time. But there's no denying that it didn't used to be the systemic problem of proselytizing that we're seeing today. Or that there aren't still schools/districts where this isn't a problem. But I'm not taking the chance with my kids.

bswartz15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Our public education system changed in the 1920's to mirror Nazi Germany's education system. They are taught to regurgitate knowledge, but not how to think. That is why my kids are home schooled and will never go to public school.

Top Bottom