• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When I was a teen we would throw smoker fireworks in the hole fill it behind to make the smoke push through the holes and that forced out a few. Shotgun with bird shot works pretty good if you don't have 8 dogs...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I wonder if the bucket of water trap will work like it does with mice and chipmunks.

We always just baited them with grain and then used .22 shorts, but something that works while you're not around would be helpful
    My dad talked about back in the 50’s and 60’s filling a 55 gallon drum up halfway with water in the heat of summer, leaning a board up and the rats would climb up and jump in just to get a drink but could not get out. Hog farm all out in the open with feed everywhere you never got them all, just tried to control them a bit.
    “Like shooting rats in a barrel”

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I also know what not to do; don’t bring home a tank of anhydrous ammonia and all the hose that co-op will lend you with the idea of sticking the hoses in some of the holes around the grain bins while plugging most of them up and opening the valve.
    It didn’t work at all and dad a friend just stunk up the whole farm and maybe cheated death a little bit.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    When I helped remove skids for hay out of a barn a long time ago, we just picked up the skids one or two at a time and cracked them over the head with shovels. Probably killed 30 or 40. Crazy!!
    There were a few litters of their hair-less little offspring too.
    Oh and that was during the day. Piled them up, diesel fuel and a match.
    Crispy Critters
    No, I didn't eat any. :twocents:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Get a cat?
    Pfft, a cat won't ever solve a rat problem.

I've seen rats walk past an old, nasty barn cat within a couple feet and the cat just watched them go by.

We had a Jack Russell that controlled our rat population in a barn full of pigs and pig feed. He lost a fight with some coyotes and our rat problem exploded.

We went to get his replacement and the kids couldn't agree on which pup to get so we ended up with two...

WMaEaVul.jpg

The amount of aggression displayed by one Jack Russell hunting rats is really something to see. The amount displayed by two is like 10X more. The problem is eventually they will exhaust the supply of rats and want to go looking for more.

To keep them in the yard I installed one of those underground dog fences. The collars said not to put them on dogs under 25 pounds. The little monsters were 12 and 15lbs. The collars had 6 levels of 'stimulation'. Our 100lb lab/mastiff mutt needed his collar set on 1 to keep him inside the fence. The two Jacks were both set on 6. And they tested the fence daily.

One day, they were in hot pursuit of a ground mole. Digging along the path of the mole's tunnel one of them encountered the 14ga wire that contained them. It shocked him, he jumped back, then lunged forward and bit through the wire.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When I was young we used Cyanogas (Calcium cyanide) and pump dispensers.

Every problem has a chemical solution. a-man-giving-a-cyanogas-demonstration-he-pumps-the-gas-into-the-rat-borrow-1936-2BW9534.jpg

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I also know what not to do; don’t bring home a tank of anhydrous ammonia and all the hose that co-op will lend you with the idea of sticking the hoses in some of the holes around the grain bins while plugging most of them up and opening the valve.
    It didn’t work at all and dad a friend just stunk up the whole farm and maybe cheated death a little bit.
    Farmer I worked for as a kid tried this with ground hogs and just about met his end. Got a face full and some in his lungs. I ended up hauling him to the hospital in the farm truck at about 100 mikes an hour.

I like the mink idea.

We either have a bobcat living under our deck or that is part of his regular hunting route. Just starting some new chicks, so I may be on here soon with issues as well. Catch him on the camera every couple of days and wife has seen him a few times.

Top Bottom