• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I recently bought the star of david police marked hi power ($479) off of aim surplus. I ordered it on Thanksgiving, it took till the 2nd to ship and till now to receive it in the mail. Looking back, I should have just drove there since it would have cost me less time, money, and needless headaches than going through the mail.

I sent it to Grey Wolf Firearms; it was surprising to someone else also transferred one of these firearms there. I think that these pistols will sell out quick.

Looking at this pistol, It seems I have the runt of the litter. The finish is a black epoxy paint over parkerizing. The epoxy is 40% left and the parkerizing is still around except for the very edges of the sights and bushing. Yes, it looks like Freddy Krueger finger-****ed it but ultimately all scratches are only finish deep, and the only damage externally is some very light rounding on the bushing. Not shabby. A refinish would bring it to new but I don't feel it necessary with the parkerizing left. It also came with "color of the day" tape on it, which is used to designate friendlies in a conflict.

The internals appear to be pristine. Barrel shows no signs of wear, except for the finish outside. My guess is that this pistol was probably never shot. Looking at the breech face and ejector, I think it probably never seen rounds chambered either. Israelis must not chamber a round when they carry. The gun passed all safety and function tests.

The star of david police mark is so lightly pressed into the frame on my pistol that the right side is nonexistent. If I had to do it over again, I would have chosen the $20 cheaper option.

It has no drop-safety, unlike new Mark III's. Mine is a forged frame. There is also a lanyard ring...depending on pistol's life, you could have one that is brazed on, press fit, heat shrunk, or threaded. This could pose an issue with after market grips.

The gun functioned with everything I put through it: Winchester white box, blazer brass, 147 grain gold dot, winchester PDX 124, Federal HST 124.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase; however, the way AIM surplus handled this hi-power shipment is going to leave a lot of people pissed. Aim surplus knows the high price of a new hi power and they took full advantage of it pricing their surplus. I feel like regardless of the accuracy of the description and pictures, there's going to be a large quantity of people expecting more. This pistol will be going to C&S or Jim Garthwaite for work. The trigger needs it the most.

bb519f43-8ba9-49f8-a7ca-c06b941b3964.jpg

Edit: You will have to take the big frame trigger pin out to remove the magazine disconnector, unlike the older models where you can just take out the pin inside the trigger.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Just embrace and accept it for what it is. I bought a P228 Israeli police trade in from AIM several months back. It looked like some large German shepherd had used it as a chew toy.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have bought a few Israeli surplus guns. I still have one. They come with some challenges but have quite a bit more character than new.

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Doesnt seem like a good deal to me--no offense...i would speculate it has some new old stock parts and has been fired 10,000 times but the star of david is cool

These FN Hi Powers have their serial number stamped on the slide, frame, and barrel. While I've heard of some having mismatched barrels, mine is not. There is just no way it has seen that many rounds. It seems like the majority of the people getting these from this batch are getting them in similar condition:shot very little but holstered a gazillion times. The star of david is cool; but I'm going to chemically strip and bead blast the pistol...and I doubt it'll still be on there when I'm done. Here's a picture, but it really doesn't do it justice on how light it is...

6a94e4b6-ab82-4909-9dd7-a82069bcc4dc.jpg

I've seen some of the deep and even ones. They look great, but it's going to be a gamble on what you get. The Mach1 importer stamp on the bottom of the frame is obnoxiously deep. You would have to make the ridge on the bottom of the frame flush on these to remove them!

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The star of david is cool; but I'm going to chemically strip and bead blast the pistol...

Somewhere in America...Ca 1949...

"Yeah...That swastika and waffenampt are pretty cool; but I am going to chemically strip it and bead blast the pistol...."

Somewhere in America....Present day...

"Yeah buddy that's a nice Luger...Internals are in good shape but it's a shame somebody chemically stripped it and bead blasted the pistol..."

Just one man's opinion sir.....Keep in mind if Iran has their way Israel may not be here in 20 years and an Israeli police firearm that has seen use with the Star of David on it may be a very desirable thing to have...Again, your gun and do what you want with it but I did want to show you another way of looking at it from an historical perspective....

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I believe the Israel military, not sure about police, carries at least sidearms with the hammer down and chamber empty. An "Israeli draw" is draw the gun, rack the slide to chamber a round, then engage the threat.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I recently bought the star of david police marked hi power ($479) off of aim surplus. I ordered it on Thanksgiving, it took till the 2nd to ship and till now to receive it in the mail. Looking back, I should have just drove there since it would have cost me less time, money, and needless headaches than going through the mail.

Good buy, I've been wanting a HP for a while now. But, don't beat yourself up to much. You couldn't have picked that pistol up at AIM if you wanted to. Handgun transfers have to be made in state, so no out of state purchases allowed.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    On the other hand, going along with what I stated earlier. It's your gun, do with it what YOU want. That's the most important thing. Not everybody will agree with it, but in the end it's your decision.

Top Bottom