• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dparks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    I'm only 20 and I know I can't buy from a dealer, but my friend is willing to go in and buy it for me. From what I've read as long as he doesn't buy it and turn around and then sell it to me its legal. So in other words can I give him the cash and have him buy it? I've found threads on this subject, but there is never a solid answer. If you can answer my question would you mind giving me a link to where you found this information at?

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    No. That is considered to be a straw purchase, where he is buying it with the intention of giving it to you. That is illegal. Don't buy from a dealer, meet someone you trust from INGO who has a gun you like. Face to face transfers are legal in Indiana.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    In the context of United States federal gun laws, a straw purchase is defined as any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is acting as a proxy for another person. The law does not distinguish between someone who is purchasing on behalf of a person who legally cannot purchase or possess a firearm, and one who is not.
    In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor. One of the questions on Form 4473 is “I am the buyer of this firearm” and the purchaser must answer honestly yes or no, by checking the appropriate box in ink. However, purchase of a firearm as a bona fide gift for someone who can legally own such a firearm is permitted.[1]
    Many gun shops have jointly participated in programs (such as: “Don’t Lie For The Other Guy”) to deter such purchases.[2]

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm only 20 and I know I can't buy from a dealer, but my friend is willing to go in and buy it for me. From what I've read as long as he doesn't buy it and turn around and then sell it to me its legal. So in other words can I give him the cash and have him buy it? I've found threads on this subject, but there is never a solid answer. If you can answer my question would you mind giving me a link to where you found this information at?

Don't go that route, that could get you in a great deal of trouble. Which will haunt you forever.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Then, I have to ask THIS question, WHAT is the diofference, between this, and him, BUYING the gun at a LATER date ????? Since it is LEGAL to purchase from a private party ?????

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    No. That is considered to be a straw purchase, where he is buying it with the intention of giving it to you. That is illegal. Don't buy from a dealer, meet someone you trust from INGO who has a gun you like. Face to face transfers are legal in Indiana.

This.

Handguns are great, but you dont want to get into legal trouble. The folks here on INGO always have some great pistols in the WTS section and you would be surprised at the selection and prices. You will save money over new also. I would only use the gun shop to handle some firearms and figure out what you like. Good luck on the purchase!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Since you only have 1 post how about becoming a site supporter then you can pick out a nice item from the classifieds here and hopefully make a deal with the seller.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Then, I have to ask THIS question, WHAT is the diofference, between this, and him, BUYING the gun at a LATER date ????? Since it is LEGAL to purchase from a private party ?????

Intent. And the fun part is that YOU get to prove that your intention was to buy the gun for yourself and then decided you wanted to sell it. Rail against it all you want, but that's how it is, and most people don't consider it worthwhile to risk federal charges and tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to prove they are innocent.

Can he get away with it? Probably. But any secret two people know is at risk of not remaining a secret and the BATFE pursues these things aggressively.

And the best part is, now that he's posted this publicly, even if the friend honestly does buy a gun for himself then sells it to the OP and a charge of straw purchase is made, the OP is screwed.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks

So you have a friend that is willing to commit a felony to purchase a gun on your behalf? See ATF form 4473 at http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Dparks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Alright, Thanks for all the information. I'll definitively look on here for the gun
    I want. I appreciate all the help :D

Top Bottom