• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Not just a 16 seed, a 16 seed that had to play one of the play-in games just to be there. They literally can't go any lower except out.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    To me this is bigger than just PU. The Big10 allows all that physical play, coaches must recruit and coach to win that way. PU won the regular season and tournament playing Big10 bang ball. PU had no one that could run with the quickness of FD tonight. No one that could nail a critical three when they needed one. Heck, they struggled to just get the ball across mid court. Embarrassing to the whole league to see their champion taken down by a nobody…

A good coach should be able to identify this problem and come up with a possible solution. I hate to be "that guy" living in the past bringing up Bob Knight, but this is the best example I can think of. When they played UNLV in 1987, Knight knew they couldn't slow them down, so he decided to run with them.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    FDU was constantly swarming around whoever had the ball for Purdue and Purdue just could not handle the ball. Eddy had the ball plucked from his hands several times! Simply put, Purdue looked like a group of tired guys out there all night long, they couldn’t keep up with FDU. Ouch!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    A good coach should be able to identify this problem and come up with a possible solution. I hate to be "that guy" living in the past bringing up Bob Knight, but this is the best example I can think of. When they played UNLV in 1987, Knight knew they couldn't slow them down, so he decided to run with them.
    The coach has to see it as a problem first. As long as the B1G encourages tackle basketball there is incentive for many coaches to recruit and coach simply to do well in conference. Afterall, not making the tournament gets a coach fired, losing early in the tournament typically doesn't.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Careful what you wish for. As a lifelong IU fan, I can tell you there are worse things than winning 22 games every year, winning the B1G every few years, and making the NCAA tourney every year. Sometimes, the next man up is Archie.
    To expand on my earlier point...

Gene Keady spent 25 seasons at PU, 512 - 270 (.655) record, 6 B1G titles, 17 NCAA appearances (19 - 17 record, 2 Elite 8s, 0 Final Fours).

Matt Painter just completed year 18, with a record of 413 - 198 (.676), 4 B1G reg season titles and 2 B1G tourney titles. He's been to the NCAA 14 times with a 17 - 14 record, 1 Elite 8, and 0 Final Fours.

One of those guys is in the NCAA BBall HOF and has a court named after him. The other one is Matt Painter. Thats the entire list of PU coaches since I've been alive. IU has had 7 in my life, if you count Dakich. As I said, things could always be worse. Sometime good enough is good enough.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I always pick Purdue to lose the first game on the bracket. But even I didn’t this year. Picked them to lose in the round of 32.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Overrated.
    I was hoping the early season team would play but alas no, the end of season team showed up.
    Painter is a great recruiter but I do question is coaching ability. Oh well. Another season gone.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is absolutely correct. The talking heads were also saying this, suggesting that a zone could have slowed this team down but Painter does not even have a zone to call. They made not tempo adjustments even when down with a couple of minutes left.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    FDU was constantly swarming around whoever had the ball for Purdue and Purdue just could not handle the ball. Eddy had the ball plucked from his hands several times! Simply put, Purdue looked like a group of tired guys out there all night long, they couldn’t keep up with FDU. Ouch!
    It’s called speed. They were so quick, possibly the fastest in the tournament, so fast that the team with the seven foot plus college player of the year could not get him the ball in the last 10 minutes. And when they did it got to him low done where the little quick guys could get it.

Purdue against the smallest team in the tourney bests them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I heard the name FDU for the first time yesterday on the news when they announced who Purdue would be playing that evening.
    It doesn't surprise me that they bested "Purdue.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    To expand on my earlier point...

Gene Keady spent 25 seasons at PU, 512 - 270 (.655) record, 6 B1G titles, 17 NCAA appearances (19 - 17 record, 2 Elite 8s, 0 Final Fours).

Matt Painter just completed year 18, with a record of 413 - 198 (.676), 4 B1G reg season titles and 2 B1G tourney titles. He's been to the NCAA 14 times with a 17 - 14 record, 1 Elite 8, and 0 Final Fours.

One of those guys is in the NCAA BBall HOF and has a court named after him. The other one is Matt Painter. Thats the entire list of PU coaches since I've been alive. IU has had 7 in my life, if you count Dakich. As I said, things could always be worse. Sometime good enough is good enough.
    The IU situation was created by an overzealous ladder climber making Knight one of his scalps and not allowing an organized transition to occur…

Top Bottom