• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Having had my 2nd vaccine, I went to the range for the first time in many months. There was a fellow there talking about, guess what? Ammo and reloading. He is new to the game. He was asking about primers, as he had no idea about the different sizes and magnum vs. standard vs. pistol vs. rifle. I'm in no way trying to put him down. When I started reloading, I had no idea about anything. One thing that helped me when I started was to buy a Lee Loader that comes in a small box and is caliber specific. I started off with one in .38 SPL like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Classi...381186?hash=item4b8e907d82:g:GDIAAOSwmZhgR~-a

The thing that really helped is the instruction sheet which was basic information about reloading the cartridge and IIRC even suggested a gun powder and bullet combination. The fellow I was talking to at the range said that he was buying bullets and gun powder and equipment so that when he got primers he would be ready. There is a good chance that this fellow is buying the wrong reloading components for the cartridge(s) he wants to load for. If you have never had any experience reloading, take it slow. Getting a good reloading manual that has reloading instructions in the front, is a must. Read it and re-read it and learn about the process and components. If you don't have the patience to read a manual, then maybe reloading isn't for you. There are no shortcuts, although that little Lee Loader is about as close to a shortcut as you can get. Once you have the basic information, reloading isn't all that hard, but it does require attention to detail, the time to do it and a place to do it without interruption. Be safe out there!

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    And if you can, find a mentor. Someone you can ask questions and can help you sort out the products and processes.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I read the title and had to click on it.
    I took one of those personality tests and my strong suite is going against the grain and making assumptions, and my spiritual gift is jumping to conclusions.
    Everyone told me to just buy a single stage and learn the process, but I had a deal I didn’t want to pass up on here, and I jumped in last fall. Had plenty of supplies to keep me busy before I made the deal and during.
    The learning curve on the Hornady Lock and Load AP was steep for a newb, but I would rather read and learn than do almost anything else, so maybe that saved my bacon.
    I’m happy with my decision so far, and now also understand why a person would want a single stage for developing an accurate round vs bulk production.
    At the same time, I know I don’t know what I don’t know, but learning is fun.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Yeah. Until you poke your eye out.

That, or put a grenade in your weapon.
    Would learning on a single stage help me from putting a grenade in my weapon?
    If I’m looking at every powder charge coming around I feel like that’s the best I can do, and I have that habit.
    Am I missing something? Just not sure how serious you were with your comments.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I’m looking at every powder charge coming around I feel like that’s the best I can do, and I have that habit.
    I've seen 3 pistols blown up in the past 10ish years. All from otherwise smart gents who overestimated their reloading ability.

Luckily none of the shooters were hurt badly. A real eye opener was the gent who was bleeding from above and below his shooting glasses. I was holding the timer for him. :rolleyes:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    On a side note, since we are talking about reloading: I am finally caught up on decapping and sizing for awhile. So I took my Rock Chucker apart, cleaned everything, polished the ram and a couple pins, lubed it and put it back together.

Belling cases and loading rounds don't create dirt like de-capping does so I in good shape.

Probably won't have to size any cases until next fall/winter. :)

I often wonder about loading on a progressive. I have so many redundancies built into my processes loading on a single stage that would not be there on a progressive that I would probably not feel as comfortable/confident in my finished loads as I do now.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I've seen 3 pistols blown up in the past 10ish years. All from otherwise smart gents who overestimated their reloading ability.

Luckily none of the shooters were hurt badly. A real eye opener was the gent who was bleeding from above and below his shooting glasses. I was holding the timer for him. :rolleyes:
    Wow, that’s scary stuff.
    I can say that I might make 100-200 rounds an hour, I’m still moving that slow. Don’t know if that helps, but it’s slow enough to see every charge and every OAL, in general.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Before I started buying gear, I bought a copy of the most recent Lyman reloading manual based upon advice here on the INGO that I had read. Glad I did.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I read the title and had to click on it.
    I took one of those personality tests and my strong suite is going against the grain and making assumptions, and my spiritual gift is jumping to conclusions.
    Everyone told me to just buy a single stage and learn the process, but I had a deal I didn’t want to pass up on here, and I jumped in last fall. Had plenty of supplies to keep me busy before I made the deal and during.
    The learning curve on the Hornady Lock and Load AP was steep for a newb, but I would rather read and learn than do almost anything else, so maybe that saved my bacon.
    I’m happy with my decision so far, and now also understand why a person would want a single stage for developing an accurate round vs bulk production.
    At the same time, I know I don’t know what I don’t know, but learning is fun.
    Over the decades of shooting and reloading, I've learned a lot of things. One thing I learned is that I'll always be learning about shooting, guns and reloading. That's what keeps it interesting. There is also the part about new things and techniques being introduced and developed. Safe gun handling and safe reloading practices never change.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Well I jumped into reloading or I should say, I am jumping into reloading. It’s my personality. I tend to go a little overboard. I do have a good friend guiding me w what I need as far as equipment. Bought a 550C and about 4K 40 cal brass. Bought approx 2500 bullets. Picking up rite group powder this weekend from another INDGOer. I bought a couple of die sets, one being for 40 cal. I don’t have my workbench done yet as I am trying to do a poured epoxy work top and the walls of my basement don’t have exact angles so the trim pieces are giving me headaches trying to get them perfect.
    My friend is retired and has been reloading for approx 20+ years so I trust him. I will start reloading hopefully soon but I will have him walk me through the process and watch me do it before I will go off on my own. Seems like a fun hobby and I can see where this can become a rabbit hole

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    He's just stirring :poop: as usual. For general use (ie, not precision rifle ammo), as long as you don't get something like a 550 (which doesn't automatically index), there is nothing wrong with starting on a progressive vs. a single stage. Some people forget you can load one round at a time on a progressive. It allows you to see and check a finished round before doing anything else. "Batch and Queue" production systems went out a long time ago, except for candle-dippers, Chinese garment factories, and constipated precision rifle reloaders :cool:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I've watched hours of how to videos to get the idea down. Then I invited a pal who's been doing it for years and years. He looked over my set up. Made one bullet and told me my equipment sucked. It's a single press.

He advised what to move into instead. So I bought a similar lee three stage that came with equipment needed to reload 44.

Now we are going to spend a day setting it up and hes going to run me through the paces.

Figure it will be a nice meditative hobby to relax with out the distractions of phones, computers, people etc

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've watched hours of how to videos to get the idea down. Then I invited a pal who's been doing it for years and years. He looked over my set up. Made one bullet and told me my equipment sucked. It's a single press.

He advised what to move into instead. So I bought a similar lee three stage that came with equipment needed to reload 44.

Now we are going to spend a day setting it up and hes going to run me through the paces.

Figure it will be a nice meditative hobby to relax with out the distractions of phones, computers, people etc
    I like reloading. It feeds my slightly OCD tendencies, lol. I load in stages; de-capping and sizing, then belling, then priming, then loaded rounds. I have a nice system and it is nice to get down there, put some music on and spend some time there.

Top Bottom