• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I have done rifle barrels before, on a lathe, and re-crowned them. But what's the best way to cut down a shotgun barrel? A pipe cutter?

What problems can you run into cutting a 28" bbl down to 18-20"?
    T.I.A. -Lee

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Problems? Make absolutely sure that it is 18.01" long. Remember what happened to Randy Weaver.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Actually the barrel could be less then 18", remember it's measured from the muzzle to the bolt breech face.

As far as cutting it off a hacksaw works fine then chuck it up in a lathe and clean it up

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you are asking about methods used to cut down the barrel, the Gunsmithing Forum might work better for you.

If you are asking about legalities, then this is as good a place as any..

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had good luck cutting them down with a hacksaw. Only problem you might encounter is if it's a vent rib since it's hollow. Same goes for a double barrel and the channel between the 2.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Actually the barrel could be less then 18", remember it's measured from the muzzle to the bolt breech face.

As far as cutting it off a hacksaw works fine then chuck it up in a lathe and clean it up

Really!?

Well that's easy enough. Thanks!

BTW (to all), I was asking about the 'mechanics'.... not the legality, of cutting her down.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I've had good luck cutting them down with a hacksaw. Only problem you might encounter is if it's a vent rib since it's hollow. Same goes for a double barrel and the channel between the 2.

Thanks, Trader....yeah, it's a single barrel and non-ribbed.

Guess I'll lose any 'choke' in the pattern, but this is for HD anyway.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Really!?

Well that's easy enough. Thanks!

BTW (to all), I was asking about the 'mechanics'.... not the legality, of cutting her down.

I understand, but I would have a difficult time with myself if you hadn't thought of that and I failed to mention it.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the action. If you're a gas-operated system like a Remmy 1100/11-87, you may need to open up the gas port(s) slightly to ensure proper gassing. Otherwise, it's a shotgun; whatever you do after rough-cutting it to length is for aesthetics. I did a pipe-cutter then chucked it up in the lathe to square and clean it up with a chamfer.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    you can cut it with a pipe cutter but I guess you can crack the barrel if you try to go to fast. A buddy cut his down with a pipe cutter and the ran a chamfer tool in a hand drill to clean it up.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    you can cut it with a pipe cutter but I guess you can crack the barrel if you try to go to fast. A buddy cut his down with a pipe cutter and the ran a chamfer tool in a hand drill to clean it up.

I think you'll probably bust your cutter before the barrel. The tool is harder and more brittle than the (comparatively ductile) barrel.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I think you'll probably bust your cutter before the barrel. The tool is harder and more brittle than the (comparatively ductile) barrel.

Depends on the cutter. This one eats iron pipe.

017197568787lg.jpg

Went through my Saiga shroud like butter.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Right, in that I mean that if one is going to break, it will be the cutter breaking before the barrel breaks.

Go slow enough and the cutter will work its way through the barrel just fine. They work by pushing material aside, so you get a ring of raised material both inside and outside the muzzle to contend with. A lathe makes quick work of cleaning up, though sandpaper can work in a pinch too.

Top Bottom