• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    I am still in the planning stage of building my first AR and know I want to use a 16" barrel and want the least amount of barrel exposed as possible, that being said, can I use a 15" quad rail or need to use a 14", also if I do go with the 15" are there any technical aspects I should be considering as far as the gas tube and gas block?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I am still in the planning stage of building my first AR and know I want to use a 16" barrel and want the least amount of barrel exposed as possible, that being said, can I use a 15" quad rail or need to use a 14", also if I do go with the 15" are there any technical aspects I should be considering as far as the gas tube and gas block?

You'll need a low-profile gas block for any free-float that extends past the gas block. As for the length, you can make it as long as you want (wouldn't advise it extending past the muzzle for obvious reasons), but be careful where you put your hand so you don't blast it with muzzle flash.

Here's a 15" rail on a 16" barrel:

ATI_HDPGPV15-556.jpg

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    You'll need a low-profile gas block for any free-float that extends past the gas block. As for the length, you can make it as long as you want (wouldn't advise it extending past the muzzle for obvious reasons), but be careful where you put your hand so you don't blast it with muzzle flash.

Here's a 15" rail on a 16" barrel:

ATI_HDPGPV15-556.jpg
    sweet gun is it yours

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    sweet gun is it yours

Looks to be a stock photo from 22three.com

As for the quad rail, like mentioned above, you will need a low pro gas block. Just make sure the gas block will fit within the ID of the rail. Also, a quad rail can get pretty heavy at that length, you might want to look into some of the "tube" style handguards. This would include the Troy Alpha, BCM Keymod, Samson Evo, Midwest Ind, etc. Most of these will have a continuous top rail, and allow you to attack smaller rail sections as you need.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have a BCM KMR 13" with a 16" regular profile barrel and really like it, very light rifle with a thin rail you can put your hand around ans still comfortable.

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    been doing some more looking, and was thinking about a 14" but the price goes up and seem there are fewer options i can find plenty in 13" and 15" and prices are not terrible, working on a tight budget but still trying to achieve the look i want for my build, im not looking to hang a bunch of stuff off the rail , i just like the look of the full length rail,

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    been doing some more looking, and was thinking about a 14" but the price goes up and seem there are fewer options i can find plenty in 13" and 15" and prices are not terrible, working on a tight budget but still trying to achieve the look i want for my build, im not looking to hang a bunch of stuff off the rail , i just like the look of the full length rail,

I recommend AT3tactical.com $100 or less depending on what you want! I installed one on my cousins rifle and they are very nice for the price. I want one for my LR308 (AR10) build.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

Fortis rail would be my choice, super lightweight and I like the overall look.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Just wondering...But why do you want a quad rail that goes all the way out to the muzzle? Are you going to be gripping the rifle that far out? Or do you just like how it looks?

Reason being that if you are just doing it for looks, it's going to make the rifle heavier and have more weight towards the muzzle, which isn't what you want from a performance and weight distribution standpoint.

Also, a lot of the quad rails get pretty heavy at that length, and they aren't very comfortable to hold anyway. If you really want one that long, I'd suggest looking into a KMR or one of the Customizable/Modular rails that allow you to screw on small sections of rail where you need them (the Diamondhead VRS-T and Samson EVO are my favorites). They'll be more comfortable, still allow you to bolt accessories where you need them, and they'll be lighter. I'd actually recommend you look at them instead of a quad rail regardless of the length of rail you want. They're a lot nicer IMHO.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    for price, check out nordic components and UTG PRO slim (Don't flame me yet... the Pro line is all made USA and not just airsoft junk -- look up specs and reviews if you dont' believe me)
    Midwest industries, Troy, and Samson offer awesome rails as well, but they cost a bit more

I agree with others, get a tube style that you can add on sections to

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    ss15g2 from midwest industries is a nice rail. I am running a ss12g2 and love the profile of it and weight, my buddy has the 15 inch and it is about as good as it gets to covering barrel and isn't much heavier than mine

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    Just wondering...But why do you want a quad rail that goes all the way out to the muzzle? Are you going to be gripping the rifle that far out? Or do you just like how it looks?

Reason being that if you are just doing it for looks, it's going to make the rifle heavier and have more weight towards the muzzle, which isn't what you want from a performance and weight distribution standpoint.

Also, a lot of the quad rails get pretty heavy at that length, and they aren't very comfortable to hold anyway. If you really want one that long, I'd suggest looking into a KMR or one of the Customizable/Modular rails that allow you to screw on small sections of rail where you need them (the Diamondhead VRS-T and Samson EVO are my favorites). They'll be more comfortable, still allow you to bolt accessories where you need them, and they'll be lighter. I'd actually recommend you look at them instead of a quad rail regardless of the length of rail you want. They're a lot nicer IMHO.

ive saw a couple AR's with full length Quad Rails and really like the look of it, and decided thats what i wanted to build, just on a really tight budget.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    A 15" quad rail will be very heavy on the muzzle end of the rifle. It makes my left forearm tired just thinking about it. You would be much better served as suggested to go with a modular tube that you can just add sections of rail where needed. With the keymod versions, (I have a Samson Evo Keymod) you don't even need to add rail sections. What you will learn (most of us learned the hard way) is that those extra ounces can add up to pain.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I built a rifle very similar to what your looking for. I put a 15in Midwest Gen2 SS rail. I have a picture of it in my profile in the photo's. If you click on it you will get a description of the rifle. In the picture its pretty bare bones. I have on it now a Vortex crossfire 2 6-18.. (Woodchuck killer...) I will tell you walking the woods or fields with it reminds me of a A2 at times. It can be a beast. A lot of times if I know I am walking a fence line Ill take the Savage 17 hmr instead. Much Lighter.. But it depends what your going to be doing with your own rifle.. Good luck!

Top Bottom