• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Unlike CM, I am not trying to kill something, I am just trying to prevent something from getting killed, which would be, yours truly.

I have been getting up early to ride the bike. I used my cell phone alarm to wake me up. Problem is it wakes up my wife too, then she can't get back to sleep, so I have to come up with something that won't wake her up.

I was thinking maybe a cheap watch with an alarm that vibrates instead of making noise.

Any suggestions?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If fitness is your goal, get a fitbit/apple watch type fitness tracker. We have a blended family (both platforms) and I think all of them have options for "silent" alarms that wake you up by vibrating.

It'll also keep track of other interesting fitness data points like. I'm not sure how helpful they really are, but they are interesting. When I had one of the smaller fitbits, it wasn't a problem to sleep while wearing it. I have one of the more watch-like models now, and I find it too bulky.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    My fit bit has an alarm setting that vibrates to wake you up. My problem with that is I often end up with my hand under my face and the fitbit would dig in and leave marks. so I can no longer wear it while sleeping.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a heart rate monitor that I use for bicycling, so I don't really need another device like a fit bit. But maybe I should first ask how much a Fit Bit costs? If they're cheap then could be an option.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a Kenneth Cole watch that has a vibrating alarm. I dont know if they still make them but it works well.

If you wanted something for just that purpose here is one that would be a lot cheaper
    https://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/product/Silent+Vibrating+Alarm+Watch/203135

I see Timex Expedition has a vibrating alarm and they're about $35, I have an old Timex Expedition in a drawer somewhere with a dead battery, I should dig it out and replace the battery and see if it has a vibrating alarm. Or just go down to Walmart and pick one up.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I see Timex Expedition has a vibrating alarm and they're about $35, I have an old Timex Expedition in a drawer somewhere with a dead battery, I should dig it out and replace the battery and see if it has a vibrating alarm. Or just go down to Walmart and pick one up.
    Sweet. Yeah I'd give that timex a try then. Can't beat those for the money. I didnt know they had a vibrating version or I would have already bought one to try

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Go to bed early enough so that you wake up early :):

I don't even get home from work early enough for that! :)

Get a German shepherd. If you feed him and take him out, he will wake you up with a cold nose.

Love Shepherds. Love dogs. Wife is allergic. I knew that when I married her. So I content myself with enjoying my friend's dog. I come home and sit down in the living room. She looks at me funny. Says you've been playing with the dog. I have to put my clothes in the washer and take a shower before going to bed. ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Go to bed early enough so that you wake up early :):
    Right?? My bladder usually wakes me up about an hour before my alarm is set to go off. And then, once you get up, "other stuff" starts moving around and the next thing you know, you're up whether you want to be or not.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Your cell doesn't have a vibrator?

This. If your wife isn't a super light sleeper, turning on haptic for alarms and notifications and laying it on a bedside table will create a soft buzzing sound that might be enough to wake only you up (because our bodies are somewhat primed by our intent as far as awakening)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, that just might do it right there.

When the spouse and I 1st lived together I would be up and out the door early. Get 4 or more miles in before the rainbox and at the shop to open up at 6:00
    If I woke her up it was my tail. I tried to convince her the run would be good for her.

Yeah that did not work out so well.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Right?? My bladder usually wakes me up about an hour before my alarm is set to go off. And then, once you get up, "other stuff" starts moving around and the next thing you know, you're up whether you want to be or not.
    Sometimes 3-4 times a night....

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Got up early this morning without any alarm at all (that is unusual, will go to Walmart over the weekend to pick up a cheapy alarm watch). First I woke up at 12:30 but that was too early and still needed some more sleep. Then I woke up again around 1:45. Last night I had taken everything that was in the bedroom and put it in a different room so I would not wake her by making noise in the room. I thought I had it right. I was rolling on the bicycle by 2:15 and and rode 38 miles in 2 hours and 20 minutes. Came home and quietly went in the bedroom, and I could tell she wasn't asleep because her breathing didn't sound like sleep mode. After I got ready for work I came in to kiss her goodbye for the day and asked her how she slept. She said she had been awake since I got up. Apparently I woke her when I was getting ice out of the freezer for my water bottle, even though the kitchen is on the other side of the house from the bedroom. OK. Next time fill the water bottle the night before and put in the fridge, maybe close the door to the bedroom also. Hopefully we are getting to a routine that won't disturb her. Hopefully we get there very soon! :n00b:

Top Bottom