• __Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    This is just a general observation about 4473's and NICS

More of a question for dealers.

I've wondered this for a long time. Am I wrong to think that if you currently hold a LTCH you shouldn't have to get a background check when purchasing a firearm? You've already had a background check and they've already said you're a cool guy. (This is in reference to shop sales.) Wouldn't it save some time if you just filled out 4473 (record keeping) and flashed your permit? IIRC some states/shops do do this.

Or have I misunderstood and got this idea all wrong?

nq4qxh.png

S7X82i0.png

I literally just seen this thread.https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/294631-ltch_section_on_the_4473_at_bradis.html --
    ITs not exactly what im asking tho

Mods can Close this and I'll post in that thread if threads are similar

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I remember not so long ago, that is how it was done. I bought about 5 or 6 guns this way. Not sure what has happened to make it change.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Exception a) reads "...and the permit has been recognized by ATF as a valid alternative to the NICS check...". Does our little pink permission slip (with no photo, laminated at home) meet this requirement? I'm guessing not.

Also, LTCH says that the holder was OK at time of issue - he/she may or not be OK now.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    Exception a) reads "...and the permit has been recognized by ATF as a valid alternative to the NICS check...". Does our little pink permission slip (with no photo, laminated at home) meet this requirement? I'm guessing not.

Also, LTCH says that the holder was OK at time of issue - he/she may or not be OK now.

Whoa! Laminated at home! I paid 25c for this to be wrapped in plastic. This is professional grade stuff my man.
    Thats my question. So the permit is not recognized by ATF. And this was the follow up. How can life time permits be issued? Are they counting on the permit holder to contact the BATFE if they violate that permit at any time in their 'lifetime'. I've met some guys along my travels that hold lifetimes and violate the standards of the permit

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I believe that in some states this is still true because they run a background check at the federal level and not just through the state. Arizona for one does their background checks that way. So here is another question. If an Indiana resident has a license from a state that meets this requirement, can they bypass the NICS check by presenting that license to an Indiana FFL?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I remember not so long ago, that is how it was done. I bought about 5 or 6 guns this way. Not sure what has happened to make it change.

I believe the fact that we have lifetime "permits". Not sure though. There's an ATF page on this subject on their website.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Apples/Oranges.
    The 4473 is a Federal check.
    Our license is state issued, and the Feds don't give a crap about them because the checks for our licenses aren't federally run.
    As for being a license holder of another state... nerp. You're an Indiana resident. That's all they heard.
    Do not pass "Go", do not collect $200 dollars. Sorry, peeps. Gotta run the check.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    We used to in Indiana, but we used to have to get printed and wait like 5 days or something when we bought a handgun. Plus I think we got finger printed when you bought a firearm.

My recollections above maybe somewhat fuzzy as I only bought an intratek 22 pistol in the early 90's that way. If I recall correctly, I bought it at the 1500 and got finger printed and once that was cleared, they sent to handgun to a local shop for me to pick up.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    Apples/Oranges.
    The 4473 is a Federal check.
    Our license is state issued, and the Feds don't give a crap about them because the checks for our licenses aren't federally run.
    As for being a license holder of another state... nerp. You're an Indiana resident. That's all they heard.
    Do not pass "Go", do not collect $200 dollars. Sorry, peeps. Gotta run the check.

Thanks. I think we've established that now. I hear we used to in Indiana, but I'm a lot younger than most here and I dont remember these "times" I've only been buying since legally allowed

Do not collect $200. You trying-ta get away with an NFA here
    :D

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    We used to in Indiana, but we used to have to get printed and wait like 5 days or something when we bought a handgun. Plus I think we got finger printed when you bought a firearm.

My recollections above maybe somewhat fuzzy as I only bought an intratek 22 pistol in the early 90's that way. If I recall correctly, I bought it at the 1500 and got finger printed and once that was cleared, they sent to handgun to a local shop for me to pick up.

I've been buying handguns since 1989 and other than for the LTCH never got fingerprinted. In ye olden days if you didn't have the LTCH you had the waiting period.

Top Bottom