• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    My last bike test was back in 2002 but, yes, physical fitness standards aren't difficult in most AF jobs. Don't forget to add TACP and EOD to the list of physically demanding jobs though!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    l-211.jpg

1dae80050157d4cd60cb5a9f371b0780ed66c8f358eb4164506b71f90e23a5bf.jpg

99458210.jpg

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Wow, you folks are cruel ! LOL !! I can only speak to my experience back in 1976.

I went to Lackland after being on the swim team in High School the last two years. I weighed 169 lbs at 6' tall. After the food and PT I weighed 195 and it was all muscle.

On Black Flag days we did the whole PT regiment under shade of what were, at that time, the newer training squadron buildings.

For the over weight and "un-motivated" there were Motivational Flights. These poor dudes would run in place while assembled and run every place they went on base. Needless to say a portion washed out but several persevered.

Interesting now is that none of the branches have any bragging rights these days as the entry requirement standards have been so lowered and diluted that post basic training wash outs are now the rule rather than the exception.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Wow, you folks are cruel ! LOL !! I can only speak to my experience back in 1976.

I went to Lackland after being on the swim team in High School the last two years. I weighed 169 lbs at 6' tall. After the food and PT I weighed 195 and it was all muscle.

On Black Flag days we did the whole PT regiment under shade of what were, at that time, the newer training squadron buildings.

For the over weight and "un-motivated" there were Motivational Flights. These poor dudes would run in place while assembled and run every place they went on base. Needless to say a portion washed out but several persevered.

Interesting now is that none of the branches have any bragging rights these days as the entry requirement standards have been so lowered and diluted that post basic training wash outs are now the rule rather than the exception.

Americans (in general) are more out of shape.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Went to Air Force Basic in August of 1979. It was hot, but we only got black flagged twice. I gained muscle and looked very different when I graduated. We only lost one member of our Flight due to going off the deep end emotionally within the first week of Basic.

Several years back, we lost several members in the USAF due to heart attacks during their PT test. The program was revamped and current Air Force PT standards are demonstrated in the attached video. No more bike tests. PT testing is now required twice a year unless you score an excellent. Although not as strict as the Marines, it does give an accurate assessment of a person's physical condition. The 3 mile walk may look goofy, but it is twice as hard to meet the required time during the walk, than during the run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQgHIIZUuFo

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Spent 12 years of my career working on these. Three years at RAF Woodbridge U.K. Nine years at Grissom AFB, IN.

3_16.jpg

DSC06084.jpg

91%20TFS.JPG

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    One of my closest friends did 12 yrs in the AF from 2000-2012. His PT was nothing to write home about...but when he told me what his job was I almost fell over. What a soldier.
    Also, my dad just retired from WPAFB but hes a marine & Vietnam vet. He used to joke and say, "the damn AF now has time out cards during basic! wish I'd have had one of those when I was getting kicked in the gut"

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ah yes, "Air Force: giving the Navy someone to pick on since 1947."

I remember PFT when I was in AFROTC... I only did the test, PT wasn't mandatory. We showed up at 0630, the Army was already hard at work... We did our test... The Navy rolled in about 0710, did the sorriest set of exercises I've ever seen.

FTR, I failed that PFT, I was always the most unathletic guy in school. Later I dropped out of AFROTC. I tried, I gave it my best, but in the end we all agreed it wasn't a good fit.

Top Bottom