• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm planning a camping trip for me and my son for this weekend, but I haven't settled on a location as of yet. I want to take him what I consider to be "real" camping. I.E. middle of the woods, no set up camp grounds, I think the DNR calls this dispersed camping. I was looking on the DNR website and noted that they say you can only use approved firewood and that you can't take down standing trees. Does this mean that you can't gather and process firewood from the forest? I'm obviously not going to be cutting down live trees, but I'm sure there will be plenty of standing dead ones that would make better wood than what is rotting on the ground. I've always done my camping on privately owned land out of state and am not really sure how this works.

Also, can anyone recommend a good forest to go to? I live in central Indiana and want to keep the drive time under 2 hours. I wanted to go to the Hoosier National Forest, but my understanding is that it is closed due to the .gov shutdown. I also plan on doing some squirrel hunting while I am out there. Thanks for any help!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    To my knowledge, IN DNR now allows you to bring firewood with you as long it it has been de-barked, although I've never had an issue with procuring it locally. As far as removing timber from the woods, they kind of frown on that if its larger than kindling.
    On to fires and primative camping. There are quite a few State Parks in the central portion of the State and I believe they all have Tent only areas however, it think camp fires can only be set in the approved/provided fire rings.
    McCormicks Creek (between Ellitsville and Spencer), Mogan/Monroe State Forest (Martinsville) Yellowwood State Forest and Brown County SP (Nashville) are all nice properties and should be within your 2 hr drive window.
    Hunting availabilty will be property specific

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Morgan Monroe State Forest is probably the closest, Yellowwood State Forest is probably next closest. The Hoosier National Forest isn't closed...soyou could go to the Hoosier down by Lake Monroe and hike clear down to Salem or something. I'd suggest you go buy some topo maps of areas you are interested in.

How do you plan on getting to the middle of the woods camp site? When we backpack we don't take firewood with us, the forest usually provides plenty just laying right on the ground. BTW you do not want to get caught cutting down any tree that is standing up....dead or alive....unless it is on your property.

Have fun, take water...enjoy the Fall.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    The only thing closed in the HNF are the fancy campgrounds, but you can still use the woods to camp or anything else. I may be wrong, but I don't think you can back country camp in state forests. Last time I checked you had use a designated spot.

Top Bottom