• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportymonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Greenwood
    I'm not sure where to ask this and apologize if this is not the appropriate area. We had the talk with out children Friday about guns and taught them several things. They all know how to safely check to see if a gun is loaded , put the safety on, and for handguns remove the magazine. They also learned what to do if they find a gun outside of the home whether it be outdoors or in a store.
    My question is would do test checks every few months to make sure that they remember the information? Our younger 2 are 6 and 8 which are still too young for the class and I want to make sure that they retain the information that we have taught them.

TheOperator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    W-Lafayette
    Personally I think 6 is a little too young and you should tell them to just not even touch them at all.

For your 8 year old a checkup once in awhile is good, but you shouldn't have your firearms in a place where they can get a hold of them without supervision anyway.

Do you own a gun safe?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I was going hunting with my Dad when I was 8-9. IMHO if there are firearms around the house it's never too early to teach them. I'm sure they will need to be reminded from time to time about the rules and safety but being taught and talked with about guns takes most of the mystery out of firearms. Also as previous poster mentioned, a gun safe is almost a necessity in the current climate. For the children's safety and your own.
    Personally I would start them on the 4 basic rules as soon as I though they could understand what I was saying. BUT, your children, your decision.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

Last edited:

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Its never too early to start. Remember, you are their role model. If you bend/break a rule, they'll pick up on it quickly.

I've been working with my 4 year old for awhile now. I like to think of it as The 4 Rules: PreSchool Edition. He seems to be getting it. Right now, I'm stressing that if he finds a gun, to get an adult. He's way too courageous for his own good, so I have been emphasizing, "don't touch the gun, get an adult." He can tell me what he should do, which is the first step in doing the right thing.

I think he's shot quite a bit for a 4 year old. He's really into archery, specifically the crossbow.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Personally I think 6 is a little too young and you should tell them to just not even touch them at all.

For your 8 year old a checkup once in awhile is good, but you shouldn't have your firearms in a place where they can get a hold of them without supervision anyway.

Do you own a gun safe?

my son had his first gun at 4.
    It all is dependent on the individual child. I wouldn't recommend an age to anyone. I would tell them they would know how mature the child is and if they can handle it

I will say the same thing about "testing" the children too. One thing to do though, no matter the age, educate and don't keep them secret. When something is a mystery, a child is more likely to investigate it. And we all know curiosity killed the cat.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    If you feel your children are mature enough (for their ages), I would teach them the safety rules for handling a gun first. Then get them to the range & teach them proper shooting. This usually satiates the gun "curiosity", and if taught correctly, will also teach them respect for the weapon(s). It will instill in them that guns are for defense and are not toys.
    My father first taught me to shoot at age 5 with a .22 rifle & first took me hunting at age 7 with a .410 shotgun. I truly did not fully grasp the danger of a firearm until I killed a squirrel with that shotgun.
    However, I learned respect for firearms, and have grown up using them safely. Ultimately, my suggestion is you the parents call. You know your children best.

Hope this helps & :welcome:to:ingo:

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    My kids have been shooting since they were old enough to use hearing protection effectively; 3-4 years old. Six is not too young. Teaching them all the rules at a young age is probably too much for their attention span.

I've simplified the rules to:

1) They may handle a firearm only after asking me. I don't think I've ever said no when they've asked. If they handle them frequently, the object is demystified and they are less likely to be excited and pick one up if they find one in the absence of an adult.
    2) Never point it at anyone.
    3) Never put your finger on the trigger.

sportymonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Greenwood
    Have you looked into the Eddie the Eagle program from the NRA? Eddie Eagle GunSafe|Eddie Eagle GunSafe

Thank you! I will have to look into that one.

We have a gun safe and for the longest time the kids did not know we had owned any guns at all. After watching a police video during my WAW class I decided that it's better that they know some general safety rules and protecting themselves. My 6yo did better than expected. She was the first to tell us if a safety was on or off. She didn't want to touch the gun and we told her that is fine. I'm not pushing them but wanted to put more caution on that it was not a toy like their nerf guns. Make sense? After my older 2 complete their safety class they will be able to go to the range with us. My 10 yo has already shot rifles before, my 14yo has not.

EIther way they did really well with learning about gun safety but I just want to make sure that they remember and it sticks. Thank you all for replying!!

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Years ago we moved and I bought a new safe. My son, 6 at the time, was almost in tears because he didn't have the combo to the safe, because he was "part of the family too." Cracked me up.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm not sure where to ask this and apologize if this is not the appropriate area. We had the talk with out children Friday about guns and taught them several things. They all know how to safely check to see if a gun is loaded , put the safety on, and for handguns remove the magazine. They also learned what to do if they find a gun outside of the home whether it be outdoors or in a store.
    My question is would do test checks every few months to make sure that they remember the information? Our younger 2 are 6 and 8 which are still too young for the class and I want to make sure that they retain the information that we have taught them.

My kids know guns are dangerous. I let them coonfinger them with the chamber cleared. I have them stick their finger in and look to see there is nothing there. I tell them if daddy or mommy isn't around, they need to not touch a gun and get an adult.

I have a shotgun behind a door, and they haven't even touched it. (It's my empty rabbit gun, but still).

I am not comfortable allowing my 3 year old to know how to safety check for himself. His hands are small, and he lacks motor control and concentration to keep his hands and fingers where they are supposed to be. If he were to find a loaded gun AND try to clear it, I'm afraid he would be a statistic for the media to go on and on about.

Do not teach children to attempt to clear/unload/make safe or whatever you would like to call it. Teach them to treat ALL guns as if they were loaded ALL the time. Teach them not to aim at something they don't want to do destroy. Keep their fingers off the trigger until they are on target. Know their target and it's surroundings.

I consider it like teaching a kid electrical safety. Keep your fingers/toys/utensils out of the socket. I don't go teaching them how to throw the breaker and turn off power to change out an outlet.

Common sense safety right? Don't tell a kid to touch anything dangerous without parental supervision. Ever.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Never too young or too early to teach children about gun safety. Try to remember, there is no teacher they will learn more from than their parents.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My 3-year-old knows about gun safety. Of course, her version is:
    - Guns and bullets are daddy's (and knives, the ax, most tools, fire, etc..., for that matter)
    - Don't touch them
    - If you see a gun or a bullet, go get momma or daddy. Leave it alone! Just come get one of us.
    - The latest rule from this fall, when the boys down the street brought out their toy guns: Don't shoot people. That's not nice (that is harsh enough for her. She gets it.).

You could tell it was "sticking", when she wouldn't take the toy gun from the boy until she asked me first. She then admonished the boys with "Don't shoot me! That's not nice! Let's shoot at pretend monsters." They then loaded up in their battery-powered Jeeps and drove the 'hood yelling BANG! Got one!

My approach for most things is to start tight, and loosen up with maturity. Answer all questions honestly (but to their level). Spot-check their knowledge regularly, but casually.

I may get her and I BB guns this summer, and start the next round of rules. Then some target practice!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I strongly believe in testing them for their compliance with the rules, whatever they may be in your house. How will you know how they will respond/react when they aren't in your care and they come across a firearm? I am surprised at the number of people who wait until 6, 7, or 8 to start firearms education. Ours were learning before they could walk. And they knew by 3y/o not to touch.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    As others have said -
    1) explain rules & LIVE the rules yourself - you are the the biggest most influential example;
    2) repeat, to them (and you), train / quiz / test, repeatedly. ... etc.
    3) exercise the rules (practice them) as you go and grow (see 2nd part of #1) -

:dunno: but it is pretty much how you learn anything and maintain good habits.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I test my 8 yr old daughter as we approach a shooting outing. Quiz her. honestly I struggle to remember all 4 rules. I usually get 3 of the 4 out. Regardless, she knows pretty well what to do and what not to do with them without too much coaxing.

I will let her 'coonfinger' as someone above said when a new gun comes out so she can see what its about. She has a little cap gun six shooter that my brother got her. We won't let her aim it at people or birds or animals(my wife's perogative') She's been asking lately when we can go again. She seems to like it. I hope to get her shooting at bottles of water and other items this summer to make it more interesting than aiming at paper.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    They are newer too young to learn and it may deter curiousity.

This spurred me to think that if you let your kid know they can look at them whenever they ask...they may be less inclined to look at them when you're not around. mine are all locked up in my safe...but if my daughter wants to look at them she can.

Welcome to INGO!

Top Bottom