• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Morning everyone. I've got a question about fireplaces, smoke, and chimney fires.

We have a fireplace in our home, and have it cleaned annually. The chimney sweep always gives us great reviews on the condition of the firebox and flu, and we rarely have much buildup. Our last cleaning was sometime last spring. Since then we have gone through approximately 2 1/2 ricks of wood. I started up a fire a couple weeks ago and there was quite a bit of smoke billowing from the chimney. Way more than normal. Due to odd wind patterns, the smoke was blown town and towards the street, and someone called the fire department. I caught a police officer who responded before the fire department got there and had them cancel the call, as I was 99.9% sure it was not an issue. well, i let the fire burn itself out just in case, and after about 10 minutes the smoke dissapated (never had smoke in the house, only out the chimney) and for the remainder of the fire it was the typical small amount of smoke coming from the chimney.

I just wanted to have you guys double check my logic. It was a new load of wood, and the smoke was a problem within the first 10 minutes of lighting the fire, while the kindling was still burning and the main logs had just begun to burn. There was no wooshing noise, and since it was within the first 10 minutes of the fire and the flue had not even begun to heat up yet, I figure it was just some damp wood. Does that sound about right? I have looked up the chimney and from what I could see there is not much build up. There's a little sparatic dust on the walls, but it's a gray dust color, not the black that i've seen in pictures.

So does my reasoning sound correct? I didnt want to have to call the sweep until we were finished burning for this season, but paranoia is making me second guess it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I believe it's that new infestation of bark beetle larvae that has come over from Asia in the last few years. They have been causing all kinds of problems on our east coast. And as you've experienced first hand, when you burn them they tend to smoke like the dickens. If you listen real close when they're cooking, you'll hear a little whine...then a "POP".
    Exploding_Smiley.gif

Ya - I don't know. :dunno:

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I really think it was just smokey wood. I wouldnt think that a fresh fire would cuase a chimney fire, and since we had no sounds from inside, i think the wood was smokey. I'll probably just give it another try tomorrow or Friday and see what happens

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have a modern EPA high-efficiency stove that burns with no visible smoke after the secondaries kick in. But on start-up it always smokes like a freight train. Almost all stoves smoke a lot at start up. Your case doesn't sound much different. It was likely wind related.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like you should be fine. I run two wood burners in my house. Both if them are very smokey upon start up. After they get going they tame down though.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks guys. I'm guessing i'm good to go and it was just wind direction and some damp wood that caused the problem. Glad I got the info now, too. With this little storm tomorrow night, it's always nice to have that as a backup just in case.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    We heat our entire house with a wood-fired boiler and have done so for 33 years. Wind conditions, air pressure, and many other things cause the smoke to fall to the ground instead of rising. Yes, when a fire is first lit there will be more smoke. It takes a while for the chimney to be heated when it is cold - you will see more smoke, especially if it is extremely cold. Once you get a good bed of coals going there is less smoke.

If your chimney is on fire you will know it. It sounds like a freight train - we have had a few chimney fires and you can hear it in the whole house, the smoke smells different, and the smoke is very heavy and turns black. If far enough up the chimney or if it burns long enough to reach higher in the chimney you will see flames (big tall flames). That creosote burns hot!

I try to clean my chimney every 1-2 weeks. I do NOT enjoy climbing onto the roof to put out a fire. Obviously, good dry wood is key - less fire danger, more heat.

You can also use those chimney sweeping logs periodically to help keep the creosote down.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I have a wood stove, and even it can smoke if the fire isn't hot enough. The hotter the fire, the less smoke there should be. However, the more wood you add, and the fewer hot coals there are to generate heat to produce enough hot flames, the more you are likely to have smoke. My wood stove only produces smoke when the fire is starting. Once it is up to speed, there is no smoke, none. However, I can add wood to a cooler fire with minimal hot coals, and if I don't make a trench in the coals to get air to the back of the fire box, or if the really hot coals are smothered by the added wood with no air getting to them, I will start getting smoke and have to reposition the wood and sometimes crack my door to get more air to the fire.

PhilDeez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Sounds like you had some damp wood. And like the others have said till your flue and fire gets to a certain temp, you will have quite a bit of smoke.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Damp or not dried long enough, doesn't sound like you let your chimney get snotted up enough for that to be a problem.

Top Bottom