• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShootnScoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Indy
    Hello all. I'd like to shoot my first IDPA match in a couple weeks, and would like to touch base with some shooters that have match experience. I'm a competent shooter, 15+ years military with multiple deployments, and have been to high threat protection operator schools etc, but never competed. I want to make sure I have the right gear when I show up. I've read as many FAQ's and watched a bunch of youtube vids, but getting in direct contact with someone is my preferred method.

My biggest concerns are about the gear that I'll need and being disqualified for something small. My EDC loadout is what I was planning on using: S&W M&P 40C with 10rnd mag, IWB holster, (2) 15 round mags (I'm to understand that these will still only ever be loaded with a max of 10 rounds each), standard 2 mag paddle holster, unbuttoned short sleeve shirt for concealing the gear. I was also going to bring ear pro and eye pro. Other than enough ammo, cleaning gear, and so on, is there any other REQUIRED gear that I need? I've heard there are standards for what type of belt you can use. Is this to keep people from using a police type duty belt?

If anyone would like to speak on the phone I would be happy about that as well. Sometimes a 5 min conversation can save 30 min of trying to explain something through text.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback and definitely eager to get out and shoot! - Matthew

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You pretty much have it. Good luck, and have fun!

Yes, IDPA is designed to be for concealed carriers. USPSA is more of just a competitive sport. the only ones allowed to carry duty belts are LEOs carrying their duty belt since that is what THEY carry every day.

You can also carry OWB, but it has to pass the dowel test. If you can put a 3/4" dowel between the holster and your body just above your belt, the dowel must touch both you and the holster to be legal.

Craig T

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Avon
    It sounds like you are pretty good with the equipment. As far as belts go, I think it's 1.5" is the largest belt you can use and it needs to go through the belt loops of pants. I am not sure where you are planning on shooting your first match, but most clubs will go easy on your equipment if they know your a new shooter to the sport and help you out as much as they can. At the club level matches, there are a bunch of people that are there just to shoot and don't really care to much about winning or equipment. They want to shoot what they carry. For the most part it's fine unless there is something way out there from the rules. Good luck and welcome to the sport.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    For your first few matches every club that I have been too will be very lenient about your gear. Also, there is now a 'not for competition' class that lets you shoot with gear that would otherwise be outside on a regulation.

From what I read above, it sounds like just show up with what you have & follow the basic rules of gun safety (they will cover safety issues specific to the sport in a new shooter briefing) and you are good to go.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Make sure you have FUN!! Don't get so caught up with the competition that you forget the most important thing. Remember, this is your first match and you will make mistakes. Watch, listen, learn, and be safe. Once you are comfortable with the rules and situation, ramp up you speed and go for broke!!

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    You are supposed to bring the RO/score keeper a bottle of water at each stage as well. :)

Seriously, you got it covered. Remember jump in a paste targets when your not on deck or when you are shooting. Helps things move along.

ShootnScoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Indy
    Water? I figured whiskey would make my score go up lol.

I'm not one to sit on the sidelines when work is being done. I'll rock some targets.

Thanks a ton for the feedback everyone. And to answer the question about where... I was going to attend the ACC first sat of the month match.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There are a few of us here that hit that match. I hope to have a free enough calendar to go to the Sept match myself. Ive missed the past two due to just being too darned busy.

And dont forget to ask questions. Especially if the RO knows you are new, they will be VERY lenient on all things non safety, and help you along. Joe and the gang up there are very patient with noobs.

ShootnScoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Indy
    Awesome! I'm really looking forward to it. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time but my work schedule always had me tied up on weekends.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I was at the August ACC match. I will also be attending the September one as well. I look forward to meeting you there too. All of INGOers should have their screenames on their shirts or something. -Jason

Top Bottom