Question about ignition key for a Dodge Neon with the factory security system.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    I bought a 2005 Neon for my daughter last week. It was the cheapest car I could find that seemed to be in good shape.

The problem is the key has some sort of security mechanism, a chip or resistor or something along that line. I made a copy but it won't work because it is on a standard blank.

I found the fancy blanks for sale for less than 20 bones, but the seller says you can't program it yourself unless you have two working keys, which I don't.

So my questions for those more familiar with this stuff - should I talk to a Dodge dealer or a locksmith? And what should this cost? I don't want to get taken.

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    The fix could be done one of two ways.

1. Dealer, upwards to the tune of $60.00 to "reprogram" the keys. Plus the cost of "transponder" keys off fleabay and getting them cut at the hardware store.

or

2. Hide the key that has the transponder chip as close to the ignition slot as possible [inside the plastic steering column] and then use the newly cut key. Course, try out first before breaking anything, then get a second "cheap" key made.

Let me know if #2 works, as I've "heard" it does.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The problem is, you get three tries and then the system shuts down and you have to take it to the dealer for a reset anyway. You may as well bite the bullet and get a couple of the "chipped" keys made, so you'll have a spare.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    it depends on how the system works.

if it is actually a transponder ship then you need to get one from a dealer or try the hiding it method.

I know GM's system involved a resistor chip in the key itself, then when you put it in, the ignition switch measured the resistance and if it was correct, it started, if not, no dice. you can get around this type by wiring in a resistor of the right resistance into the ignition circuit.

Good luck!

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    I am going to try hiding the key and I will let you guys know if it works. But I can't do it right now.

The oil drain plug was torqued by an angry gorilla and I messed it up pretty good getting it off. I need to run to town for a new one before I put any oil in.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    For the igniton key with immobilizer, just suck it up and go to the dealer. You'll waste more money buying keys elsewhere and trying to get them programmed at the dealer.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah, chrysler vehicles require 2 keys to program a 3rd. Only other good option is to get a new transponder key, and have the dealer program it.

do yourself a favor, and buy the new transponder key someone else. The dealer will want $50 or more for one, and then they will charge you .5 hrs labor (probably $40) to program it.

putting the transponder key in the car all the time will work, but then any idiot can easily steal the car as well.

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    I know if you have a GM key you just put the good key in the ignition turn it to run and then off and do the same thing with the second key within five seconds and it will program. Not sure if this works on a chrysler but i thought it might help if it does.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    You can also find a locksmith that has the ability to "clone" a key. The process reads the data off the existing key, and writes an exact copy to a special cloneable key blank. This process is generally cheaper than messing with the computer.

Top Bottom