Question about Indiana businesses ability to regulate CC & OC carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Just applied for a part time job at a local store, and was informed by the asst. manager that he does not allow employees to carry on their person or even have a secured weapon in their personal vehicle if they are on the clock. From the way it was discussed it is his personal rule and not a corporate rule. Yes I know an employer can regulate what an employee does in the store but can they regulate the parking lot and private vehicle as well. If its part of their terms of employment?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Generally--no. But if they're smart and they do find out you have a gun in your car, on the parking lot, and fire you for it, they won't say that's why. If they do, and you get it in writing, you could be in for one last payday.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Weigh the risk/benefit here. Not sure what kind of store or likelyhood of crime, but lets say its a gas station, I would carry anyway and keep my mouth shut. Worst they could do is fire me, but at the end of the day IM GOING HOME ALIVE, end of story. As far as whats in your car, ts nobodys business. Again, do what will keep you alive and keep your mouth shut...at least, thats the way I see it.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Employers have no authority over what you store in your locked vehicle when on their property, but like 17 squirrel said, it's an at-will state -- they can fire you for any reason or no reason as long as they don't mention the gun in your car or your blackness or your homosexuality or anything else that's legally protected from discrimination.

It's also against the law for them to require you to inform them about any hypothetical guns that may potentially be owned by you, carried on your person, or stored in your vehicle, but combined with the at-will nonsense it's a pretty messy legal protection.

My opinion? Do what you want. If you're gonna play the stakes then CC, and if you're gonna play the odds then don't.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

There's a whole thread about a different case that explains the statute.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...1-ind-ct-app-hear-guns-work-case-11-00am.html

In this case the firing was upheld because the employee did not follow the whole statute in that the gun was not secured out of view.

...But as was stated above, proving that you were fired or disciplined for an illegal reason is not always easy.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Make sure that WHEN, not if but when, you keep it in your car, as HoughMade said it's secured out of sight. Whether that is in the center console, in the glove box, under the seat, put it somewhere and double check after you shut the door that you can't see it.

Top Bottom