• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Bloomington Transit has a sign posted inside its busses that lists all the prohibited items on the bus, including "unauthorized weapons." I assume by "unauthorized" they mean non-LEO weapons. Though I have not asked so maybe authorized includes LTCH holders. But I have a hard time believing that. It's Bloomington. Anyway...is public transit allowed to post a sign prohibiting carry by licensed individuals? Obviously private business can with no force of law. If someone OC's on the bus and they try to tell them they can't board, would it be a violation of state law since it's public transportation?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, it would be a violation of IC 35-47-11.1-1 et seq.

They're prolly casting a wide net not giving a **** if they "inadvertently" suppress legal firearms carriers in the process. It is Bloomington, after all, a.k.a. San Fransisco east of the Mississippi. IAT about Fort Wayne's public bus system changing its policy subsequent to the passage of the reformed local preemption statute, the news was clear that they were still banning knives from the buses, just that they couldn't ban firearms, which is about as governmentally retarded as you can get. My fixed blade knife says "Winchester" on the blade. Pretty sure it qualifies as a firearm accessory.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It depends on what they think "authorized" means. A State issued (and purchased) license sounds like "authorized" to me.

Yeah, this. It's all in interpretation.

I'm also a "qualified plumber" when it comes to minor fixes around the house.

However, a letter sent to the administration stating they are in non-compliance is in order.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    My guess is since it is illegal (I believe) for them to prohibit lawful carriers they are using vague language to "scare off" LTCH holders. What they probably mean by the sign, if you were to ask their lawyer, is no illegal possession of a weapon. You know, as if a person who was illegally carrying a weapon would care.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It also depends if "Bloomington Transit" is a public (that is, gov't-owned) entity or private company in contract with the city, providing transportation to the public. I have not looked it up and don't know which is true, but if the latter, they can forbid all they want.

At the same time, the public can (but, given the location, won't) refuse to ride, denying them fares as income, citing the reason for doing so. This would serve as incentive to change the policy, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    One would think so but the Liberal mind is a vast wilderness. I think they could enforce it as a "rule" like a restaurant but it wouldn't carry any legal weight until they asked you to get off of their "special" bus and you didn't "de-bus" immediately.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Unauthorized weapons seems to me to be weapons that people are not authorized to carry. Since Indiana has issued you a LTCH, they see you as a proper person and therefore authorized to carry.

fraige1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Crane
    I wouldnt OC in B-town, to many liberals and shady people up there. But if you CC i dont see an issue even in bloomington.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Indiana State Police, Our Nations Constitution and God Himself has authorized me to carry my handgun. Now, I do carry discretely so no one really needs to know I have a handgun or a rubber band.

Top Bottom