• ...and so much more!
  • IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    Guys,

I might be purchasing a semi auto rifle soon. I'm curious about a scope/mount setup. I am trying to get a good idea of what I should spend on a setup. I am looking at ether a 5.56 or 7.62 round and haven't made up my mind entirely. It will serve as a hunting/defense rifle.

I have been looking at scopes with a ballistics/rangefinding reticle, but I'm not sure if I need it. If it's not worth the money, what would be a better spent dollar?

What's a good mount setup? Do I really need to spend $100+ for a good mount? I would like a good value. May be nice to have a QD to switch to a red dot. What would you recommend? Value being the highest priority, please fill me with your knowledge and experience.

And thank you for your :twocents:.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Guys,

I might be purchasing a semi auto rifle soon. I'm curious about a scope/mount setup. I am trying to get a good idea of what I should spend on a setup. I am looking at ether a 5.56 or 7.62 round and haven't made up my mind entirely. It will serve as a hunting/defense rifle.

I have been looking at scopes with a ballistics/rangefinding reticle, but I'm not sure if I need it. If it's not worth the money, what would be a better spent dollar?

What's a good mount setup? Do I really need to spend $100+ for a good mount? I would like a good value. May be nice to have a QD to switch to a red dot. What would you recommend? Value being the highest priority, please fill me with your knowledge and experience.

And thank you for your :twocents:.

leupold mounts are the cheapest mounts i would ever get. they will run you 40ish bucks. above that depends on your purpose for the rifle. mounts for a 1000 yd rifle are diffrent than a 200 yd rifle.

lets just say leupold mounts have 1/2 minute of flex (hypothetical). if your longest shot will be a 300 yd coyote then your mounts are responsible for 1.5 of a inch that your bullet missed your poa. 1.5 inch no big deal still dead coyote.

now put the same thing on a rifle intending to shoot 1000 yds and your mounts are responsible for 5 inches off your poa. not to mention shooter error wind etc.

now say you spend 250 on uso rings and bases and they flex 1/8 minute. (hypothetical)

at 300 yds you are 3/16 of a inch off. is the coyote any more dead? no

at 1000 yds you are 1 1/4 off. that 3 3/4 inches many be the diffrence between a 10 and a 9 on target.

in long range shooting litlratt made a good statment when he told me "buy all the points you can"

Top Bottom