• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Let's say I amended my trust so I, along with my son who is the beneficiary, is on the trust. I buy an NFA item AFTER 41F takes effect. I later amend my trust to add people to the trust. DO they then have to go fingerprinted and such to be added to the trust?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    That was my understanding as well. I'm gonna talk to the lawyer that drafted my trust and post the answer. I have four people on my trust, so this would make getting a new NFA item a timely process.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Reduce to two, buy new item, raise it back to four. Rinse/repeat.

Another astounding example of a law that effectively does nothing.....

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Reduce to two, buy new item, raise it back to four. Rinse/repeat.

Another astounding example of a law that effectively does nothing.....

That's effectively my question. I have no problem going through the process, however I don't want to drag three more people downtown with me to have them go through the process as well. All of them are eligible to possess the firearms, it's just too timely to take four people downtown to have fingerprints and passport photos run, because of some arbitrary rule created by a non-legislative branch, just to make my wait for my legally possessed firearms that much longer because Obama doesn't think we should have it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Still a PITA to reduce the number, buy item, increase back up because I believe every time it's amended the new trustees must be present and sign the amendment in front a notary. Am I mistaken?

That being said, could a person effectively "bypass" this by having a trust within a trust? Trust 1 (top-level) has all the trustees listed and "owns" trust #2. Trust #2 has just 1 trustee that does the buying etc. ATF wouldn't even have to know that Trust #2 is held within Trust #1, for all they know Trust #2 is the only one. Is my "legal logic" flawed?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I don't see why they would need to sign in front of a notary when they didn't when the trust was formed? I would ask your NFA trust attorney for clarification.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Still a PITA to reduce the number, buy item, increase back up because I believe every time it's amended the new trustees must be present and sign the amendment in front a notary. Am I mistaken?

That being said, could a person effectively "bypass" this by having a trust within a trust? Trust 1 (top-level) has all the trustees listed and "owns" trust #2. Trust #2 has just 1 trustee that does the buying etc. ATF wouldn't even have to know that Trust #2 is held within Trust #1, for all they know Trust #2 is the only one. Is my "legal logic" flawed?

My trustees do not need to be present when notarized. I am the only one that has to sign it since I I am the owner of the trust.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Had not considered this aspect. So I guess that after July of this year I need to amend my trust to remove all but me?

Then I can add them back in after the forms are sent in?

Brilliant.

Let us know what your attorney says. I will draft a letter to mine when I can.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't see why they would need to sign in front of a notary when they didn't when the trust was formed? I would ask your NFA trust attorney for clarification.

My trustees do not need to be present when notarized. I am the only one that has to sign it since I I am the owner of the trust.

Computer generated trust or attorney written? My attorney written trust was written so that trustees must also sign the amendment and it must be done in front of witnesses and notarized.

Either way, the question still stands, is there any reason the trust can't be within a trust?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I have no clue about the trust within the trust, legalities or purpose.

However, my trust was written by Marc Halata. There are four of us on the trust and the notary ad I were the only ones that needed to sign.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have no clue about the trust within the trust, legalities or purpose.

However, my trust was written by Marc Halata. There are four of us on the trust and the notary ad I were the only ones that needed to sign.

Same lawyer here and same situation when it was notarized.

Top Bottom