• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    A few weeks I was given an Interarms Walther PPK/s by my dad. I haven't fired it yet, and I'm just now getting around to familiarizing myself with the mechanics of the gun. I'm noticing that when I insert a mag it locks in fine, and when I depress the mag release, it drops freely........until I put a round into the chamber.

If I depress the mag release with a round in the chamber, the mag drops only very slightly, and then I have to pull the mag out with a little bit of force. On every other handgun I own, the mag drops out freely with a round in the chamber. Anybody familiar with the PPK/s enough to let me know if this is a common issue........if it is normal....or if this is a significant issue?

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    OK, I tried it, it is exactly as you described. I also saw what causes it. When you chamber a round, it starts the next round out of the magazine (it's being dragged out by the round being chambered), if you insert one round in the magazine, chamber it and then eject the magazine, it will drop free, so the empty magazine should drop free when you are reloading.

Just so I'm clear, the next round in the magazine is actually started up the feed ramp, the drag you feel pulling the magazine out is the round being reseated in the magazine (being pushed back in by the feed ramp)

Last edited:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I have an Interarms Walther PPK/S and my mag drops free with a round chambered. In fact, I tried it with 3 different mags and all dropped free with one in the pipe. Mine is a 32acp and that may be why mine does drop and yours don't, not sure if you have a .380 or a 32acp.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I have an Interarms Walther PPK/S and my mag drops free with a round chambered. In fact, I tried it with 3 different mags and all dropped free with one in the pipe. Mine is a 32acp and that may be why mine does drop and yours don't, not sure if you have a .380 or a 32acp.

Mine is a .380.

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    my FEG ppk/s same thing. mags dropping free was not always believed to be desirable. for one thing they get dinged and bent and dirty. ok so thats three things. also the whole idea of speedily changing a magazine that has seven shots in it-- I think originally the idea was, if you cant get it done with one mag, you're screwed anyhow

Top Bottom