• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    All.....I just bought a Taurus Model 605 357 pistol for my wife. She is very comfortable with it and will start to use this as her carry pistol as soon as the permit arrives. What is the best and SAFEST way to carry this in a purse? Also, there is a small key that locks the hammer.....should this be locked while carrying or unlocked? :dunno:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Agree with the above statements.

As for the lock... If she needs the pistol, how likely is she to have time to find the key and unlock the hammer?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Do not lock the gun.

Purse carry offers the same advantages and disadvantages as any other method for off body carry. My suggestion would be to invest in a dedicated purse designed to carry a handgun. Handguns should always be kept in a holster and if carried in a purse placed in a pocket absent anything else except the gun.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If she MUST carry in a purse, she ought to look at purses with dedicated holster compartments. shoveling through her purse to find the pistol that's tangled up with keys and lip gloss during an emergency is a losing plan.

There could be a whole thread on the flaws/limitations of off-body-carry. That should be a method of last resort. As for a lock, Lt. Tueller found that an assailant could cover 20' in about 1.5 seconds. Having a locked firearm (preferably in a quick access lock box) is only practical on a night stand.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Locked, no. As to off body carry, it is less than the ideal. We have to consider that it may be the only viable alternative. IF purse carry is going to be the norm, I believe that a dedicated carry purse be utilized and the shoulder strap be worn cross shoulder. Ideal, no. Workable, absolutely.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We make compromises in life based on our own personal priorities and trade-offs. The question is not objective - what is best? It is subjective - what is best for me?

When I off-body carry, the calculus for the holster is similar to on-body, frankly.
    - will the gun stay in the hoslter (retention within the holster)
    - will the gun stay where I put it in the carrier (purse/briefcase/whatever)
    - have I practiced how to access it

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If she MUST carry in a purse, she ought to look at purses with dedicated holster compartments. shoveling through her purse to find the pistol that's tangled up with keys and lip gloss during an emergency is a losing plan.

There could be a whole thread on the flaws/limitations of off-body-carry. That should be a method of last resort. As for a lock, Lt. Tueller found that an assailant could cover 20' in about 1.5 seconds. Having a locked firearm (preferably in a quick access lock box) is only practical on a night stand.

Or if carried without a holster, something like keys snagging on the trigger and it tumbles out when they are removed in a hurry, or even worse, pulled hard enough to discharge the gun.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    No on the lock. I rarely purse carry, but I do have a purse that has a dedicated gun compartment. It is surprising how quick the weight of the gun can get uncomfortable on your shoulder. Situational awareness is always important, I'd venture to say I could get my gun out of the purse as quickly as I could some other carry methods...heck, I'd just shoot through the purse if need be. Normally I carry a purse on my right shoulder, and if I'm carrying in it, I would have my right hand free and the gun compartment at least partially unzipped. Dark parking lot- I'd probably have my hand in the compartment and on the gun.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    If a dedicated holster area is not available in the purse, I highly recommend that a Garrison Trigger Stop is used at a minimum. Ten bucks is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

My daughter-in-law carries this with a Garrison TS.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    No on the lock. I rarely purse carry, but I do have a purse that has a dedicated gun compartment. It is surprising how quick the weight of the gun can get uncomfortable on your shoulder. Situational awareness is always important, I'd venture to say I could get my gun out of the purse as quickly as I could some other carry methods...heck, I'd just shoot through the purse if need be. Normally I carry a purse on my right shoulder, and if I'm carrying in it, I would have my right hand free and the gun compartment at least partially unzipped. Dark parking lot- I'd probably have my hand in the compartment and on the gun.

As Cindy said...shoot through the purse if needed...it can be replaced. I carry both ways. It depends on what I am wearing, where I am going, etc.

I have a Coronado purse that can be carried cross body. The strap has wire in it so it cannot be cut. The pocket is big enough to carry just about any pistol I would consider carrying and usually has my .45 in it. The zipper on the pocket can also be locked so if we are visiting anyone with children, I lock it and never let my purse out of my sight. You do have to be very vigilant about keeping your purse on you and not in your shopping cart, hanging on a chair, etc. since you are responsible for the firearm. I carry mine cocked and ready to fire with one in the chamber...safety is on. I have practiced many times clicking the safety off as my hand enters the pocket and know if needed, I could easily fire a round or two through the purse before anyone even knew I had a gun. I also practice removing the gun from the pocket and am confident I can get it out of there quickly if needed.

I have a .38 special I carry IWB almost all the time. It is very lightweight and easy to carry comfortably. As Cindy stated, purse carry can be uncomfortable due to the weight of the gun. A cross body purse does help with that.

Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Never heard of it, but I just ordered a red one from Amazon. With 12 small grandchildren, this appears to be a good device for a gun without a safety.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Reviving this thread vs starting anew. Ms. Bugz sent this picture as a birthday wish. Big step as she does not carry, but has been shooting more. Some local crime may be swaying her. I’m not pushing her to carry. Not wanting to debate on body vs off body carry, but likes and dislikes and things that are important features to have, from the ladies who carry in a purse.

1645895455775.jpeg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Reviving this thread vs starting anew. Ms. Bugz sent this picture as a birthday wish. Big step as she does not carry, but has been shooting more. Some local crime may be swaying her. I’m not pushing her to carry. Not wanting to debate on body vs off body carry, but likes and dislikes and things that are important features to have, from the ladies who carry in a purse.

View attachment 184296

In your case the purse may be a good step in getting the Mrs. actually carrying.

You need to subtly (as in, like it's her idea, :rolleyes:) influence her that it is her utmost responsibility to keep track of her purse/gun. (FYI - It's not at all easy to totally keep 100% track of any off body carry.) Eventually, with your helpful reminders and her own realizations, she will warm to sending you pictures of IWB holsters?

Maybe even go ahead and pick up a good kydex holster to go along with the birthday purse right now? So she'll have options. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom