• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Some time ago, my wife brought home a S&W Model 36. It was her father's revolver that was given to him when he made Captain on the Elkhart County Police Dept. She brought it home in a box in many parts. I'm not a gun smith by anybody's standards, but I am mechanically inclined. I was able to put the thing together, although it is missing two screws for the frame, and one wooden grip.

Having fired only semi-autos like Glocks and Springfield XDs, I am smitten with the smoothness of the double action on this revolver.....not to mention the outstanding single action.

The function of the weapon seems extremely smooth and precise. The bluing is extremely worn, there is some rust in the cylinder and in the barrel.

I would REALLY love to carry this gun. It's size and ease of concealibility would be perfect for me. I'm wondering if there is any hope of bringing this pistol back to a trustworthy functionality. If so, how much could I expect to spend restoring it?

Again, the function seems fine in terms of action. It does what I want it to do every time. I haven't fired it, because of obvious reasons, but if I were to fire it, I would expect it to perform.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    I'm not a gunsmith .
    My dad used to look at the older , more well used guns we had and he would say ,
    " It's not a new gun , and it's never gonna be a new gun "
    " That's why they make new guns" .

Do with it what you can , and enjoy it for what it is , a memory maker ..

I wish the best of luck and hope ya' find the answer you're looking for from some one a lot smarter about this stuff than me.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I'm not a gunsmith .
    My dad used to look at the older , more well used guns we had and he would say ,
    " It's not a new gun , and it's never gonna be a new gun "
    " That's why they make new guns" .

Do with it what you can , and enjoy it for what it is , a memory maker ..

I wish the best of luck and hope ya' find the answer you're looking for from some one a lot smarter about this stuff than me.

I get your thought process. Even if it never turns out to be a reliable once in a while carry, I'd still love for it to be like a classic car. Something I can restore to its former glory, and maybe take out for a spin every now and then.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    I get your thought process. Even if it never turns out to be a reliable once in a while carry, I'd still love for it to be like a classic car. Something I can restore to its former glory, and maybe take out for a spin every now and then.
    I restored the old guns the best I could and (sometimes) I think I love to shoot some of the old ''classics '' more than the newer stuff .

I did get an old revolver back up to ''carry status '' , so ya' might get lucky . Who knows?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Send it back to S&W after contacting them first. It will come back to you just like it came from the factory years ago. You will not be disappointed.

I could get it up to speed for you and so could lots of guys, but it is not the same as a factory overhaul.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Send it back to S&W after contacting them first. It will come back to you just like it came from the factory years ago. You will not be disappointed.

I could get it up to speed for you and so could lots of guys, but it is not the same as a factory overhaul.

I've sent an email off to S&W. Hopefully they'll respond with some information.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Send it to S&W for a safety check and reblue and it will come back like new, although you'll be a bit poorer. ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    They're easy to put together.
    Rebound slide and spring can be a bit of a pain ;)
    I use a brass rod for compound bow axle removal (from limb)...........makes rebound slide install a 30 second deal (tops) without a poke or pinch :) :) :)

(yes that tool is worth three smileys)

Top Bottom