• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    So as I was heading home from work around 3:50pm heading eastbound down 80/94. Coming up to 65 traffic was slowing down and I noticed a small hyundai sports car creeping into the right hand shoulder. All of a sudden I hear a siren going off from the vehicle and he passes me. I noticed this unmarked car had IL plates. Then a lil further down the road I seen the same car and two other cars pulled over. One was another unmarked car with strobes and IL plates. The other was obviously a pedestrian vehicle as I noticed an officer approaching the passenger cautiously with his hand on his sidearm.

So the question is are IN state police using unmarked cars with IL plates, and is it legal, and if so, is it legal for them to make traffic stops? Honestly if it was me being pulled over I would ask for one of their supervisors and a marked car. And refuse to talk to them until they provided them. Just seems real shady to me.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Yes they can have out of state plates. And yes they can pull you over. BUT, if a LEO is in an unmarked vehicle he/she MUST be in full uniform. That law applies all the way from ISP down to Barney Fife in Armpit, IN.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Very interesting to be sure. Since the vehicle was unmarked, was the officer in uniform? In Ind the officer must be in uniform or a fully marked car to pull you over.

Interstate arrests are more common than we are led to believe from movies/TV. A simple radio call and EPD or KY police can cross the bridge here in Evansville in hot (lights on) or soft (lights off) pursuit.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Yes they can have out of state plates. And yes they can pull you over. BUT, if a LEO is in an unmarked vehicle he/she MUST be in full uniform. That law applies all the way from ISP down to Barney Fife in Armpit, IN.

Though it isn't applicable to the Feds.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

Sorry but that is wrong information. A officer has to be in uniform if in a unmarked car to conduct a TS for traffic offenses only. The key words are traffic offenses.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Can you tell me what the code stating this is, I would just like to read it. Thanks!

No problem.

Article VI, clause 2
    This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.

Top Bottom