• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I live in Indianapolis, outside 465 loop. If I have a racoon on my property what kind of trouble would I be in if it were "dispatched" by my 22 rifle? I do have a dog that goes outside... if you catch my drift.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    High powered pellet gun. .22 leaves too much open in case you miss and can be heard. I've taken out a few skunks with a cheap daisy pump.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    depends what oyu live be or who. I would shoot it and not care at all. if you need someone to shoot it with a bow.. let me know! ;)

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    If you have access to a .22 bolt action or pump action, a .22 short is no louder than a pellet gun. Just saying.:D
    I've heard of someone shooting crows inside 465 with .22 shorts... pissed their neighbor off just a bit because he had to clean up the corpses. :dunno:
    No one heard it though so I was told

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    The one thing that gets easy to do when shooting at a moving target (although they are slow, they are moving... especially if you miss the first shot) is forget about your background. How close are your neighbors? Who cares if the cops are called. They can't get you for having a shell casing on the ground. They can write you a citation for a noise violation MAYBE if they are a real jerk, but I highly doubt it. The one thing you should be worried about is where is that bullet going to go if you miss and what could it hit if it made one bad ricochet? You don't want the cops coming because the neighbor has a .22 hole in their window. I would take the advice from some of the above and stick to something less "firearm-ish" like a crossbow. I have a blowgun, and I doubt you will kill it with one shot unless it's a perfect shot. Or go the live trap route and take it far, far away.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    .22 Aguila Super Colibri. Surprised someone hasn't mentioned these yet. Appx 600 fps and fires off the primer. Quieter than an air rifle. I shoot them all the time and no one even bats an eye. Keep in mind that there's not enough oomph to cycle a semi auto but plenty to dispatch cat and coon size animals.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    CCI .22 CB long's are pretty quiet fired from a rifle. From a pistol not so much.

YMMV

I like 22 CB shorts from my Ruger Single Six.

But if I were the OP. Definitely time to get a .22 air rifle (or a rifle with a combo .177 .22 ) I love mine.

Oh, And don't try a sling shot with steel shot. Bounces right off of them, even if you hit them right between the eyes (or so I heard).

But the correct answer is that you won't get in trouble for shooting that raccoon.
    You may get in trouble if you get CAUGHT chootin him.

So. Don't get caught.
    That is all.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I dispatch them all the time with 22 short when they happen to wander into the garage. If you are really worried about it, just beat it with a ball bat or shovel. :D

Now that would be an interesting scene to come upon. A man running around with a baseball bat chasing a raccoon. :):

Top Bottom