• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    So I have had a fair bit of free time lately while my leg has been elevated, wrapped, and iced...

Up until recently, I have kinda had the thought process that I can handle most survival situations solo. (granted, im not solo I have a family... but before I can take care of others I have to know that I can take care of myself as an individual...just my thought process) << to clarify this... I am not putting my priorities over my families...quite the opposite. I just couldnt expect to care for them, if I can't even fend for myself. Anyway...

I was out running the other day and long story short... I SEVERELY sprained my ankle.. no phone or anything with me... so I had to get up and walk between a quarter to a half mile home on it. By the time I get home, its about 3x the size of my other ankle. Ive been a runner for roughly 10 years... never sustained an injury like this. For the record.. it SUCKS. I know how to care for such an injury, so I wrap, ice, elevate, and stay off it and take some ibuprofen. well after about a week the swelling has gone down enough that I could go get an accurate xray, no breakage... just a bad sprain with what appears to be a lil tearing.

It has been nearly 2 weeks. The first three days... I could not put any weight on my ankle. After that, slight weight with a sever limp... Im just now getting to wear I can walk with only a slight limp. Still wrapped, iced, and elevated as often as I can. For an injury that was this unexpected and often overlooked... it is severely debilitating. If this had happened during a crisis situation... I would be little help short of sitting watch with a gun lol.

HERE is the point im getting at, and sorry this post is longer than I intended. Include your families (as best as possible) in preparation. If everyone is relying on you, and you cant function.... you're all in trouble. My wife is a pretty intelligent and independent woman.. so i think we'd survive till im back on my feet, but it was just an eye opener to me. So if you're family is not completely against it, it's best that everyone can play a part and don't try and carry the whole load of survival and preparedness on your own shoulders. We prepare for the worst and hope for the best, but I overlooked how something as untimely as this can mess with your plans.

Best of luck to you all and happy preppin...

dcary7

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Where there is a will to survive, there is a way to survive. I know what you mean though, when my first wife was pregnant with my son I broke my right leg AND my right arm and wasn't able to work for a few months. She never worked a day in her life and still wouldn't...recently I passed some kidney stones...I'm sure in either situation I would have survived on my own, but it certainly was more convenient to have others around.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    That sucks. Yeah I just looked at it as... If I am still alive and kicking... I'll be able to take care of my family, but I kinda think that they need to be a lil more independant on survival without me. Idk... it was just some food for thought... it wasnt a life threatening thing that I couldnt have gotten past or anything on my own... lol but if others are depending on me then there isnt room for me to be immobilized. /shrug..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Alone is OK. Alone is by choice so you can do with less. A group, family etc. can be tough. Everyone has to bring something to the table. Even the kids to a point. Yes, I agree, the will makes you find a way. My kids have been camping and doing this since birth. All in mid-20's and older now. They will be carrying the load.

Edit.....keep everyone involved and up to speed. Things will go better with even a basic plan.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    This thread also brings up how vitally important it is to be cautious if you are in a survival situation. Even a sprain can kill you. This is my main beef with Bear Grylls. He takes crazy chances on that show that you should never take in a survival situation. Excellent points all around.

HB

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This thread also brings up how vitally important it is to be cautious if you are in a survival situation. Even a sprain can kill you. This is my main beef with Bear Grylls. He takes crazy chances on that show that you should never take in a survival situation. Excellent points all around.

HB

Ratings....Bear has a complete staff standing by. He was busted for that a while back.

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    In the last Winter Olympics Lindsey Vonn (Downhill Skier) that was injured a few days before her big race. She had a severely bruised leg. She used an Austrian home remedy, and wrapped her leg in topfen cheese. That cheese is full of proteolytic enzymes. These are enzymes that break down protein. They are available in pill form too. Products like Wobenzym and Vascuzyme reduce inflammation and speed healing. They have worked for me in two situations. I recommend having a bottle available for any sport injuries.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    last-man-poster.jpg

Ask this guy!

Top Bottom