• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    So I have been reading up on reloading for a while and I understand the basics. I'm about to order a kit from midway usa and set up my bench but I'm have a few questions before I do.

I understand there are lots of reasons to reload, my reasons are
    1 I'm tired of paying stupid prices for ammo and they are only going to keep getting higher.
    2 I would like the back up of being able to load my own if the supply gets short again.
    3 it would be a nice skill to learn

Guessing some of the same reasons others have for starting. But I would like to know it will be worth it to load my own. So got some question for you guys/gals that load already.

Some rounds are more cost effective to reload but not sure if mine are one of them.

I mostly shoot 9mm, 22lr, 7.62x54r, 7.62x39 and 5.56. I know the 22lr can't be reloaded and the 7.62 rounds will be hard to reload cheaper than surplus ammo. Doing some checking online and 9mm FMJ bullets are $0.14-19 each so not a huge saving on those. I understand the 5.56 would be a good one to load but I don't shoot it much. I'm thinking about getting 7.62x25 and 9x18 pistols but those don't look like great savings.

So unless I start shooting some more cost effective rounds would I be better off to just put the money into ammo I will shoot? Stocking it deep enough will help for the next pinch. But l kinda like the idea of learning the skills so might be worth it in the long run.

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    Here's the real truth. None of us really reload for the cost factor. By the time you add in the press, the dies, the tumbler, media, polish, brass, primers, bullets, powder, scale, calipers, shell holders, trimmers, time and more, we reload for sake of reloading. We enjoy trying different powders, bullets and loads. We enjoy having ammo on hand whenever we decide to go shoot. I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds on a single stage press because I feel I get better quality ammo (plus I don't want to part with the big bucks for a progressive). I enjoy the tedious procedures you must stick to or pay the consequences. It's very detailed and takes time to do right. You just don't hurry to get done and move on to the next thing in your day. You might get hurt. If cost is your only reason to reload, go to Wal-Mart and buy your ammo.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    Some rounds are more cost effective to reload than others. Reloading 223 probably only saves around 20%. Releaoding 22 Hornet, 45-70 Govt. probably saves more than 50%. Other calibers such as 44 mag is probably somewhere in between. I made a speadsheet where you put in the component costs and grains of powder and it will tell you the cost to reload. The savings vary. I reload 223 even though it does not save much because I am using v-max bullets which is not much cheaper than WWB but lots cheaper than anything with v-max bullets. I also have customized my 223 loads to the powder weight with the best accuracy. I do not reload 45 ACP because the savings is small and I would not load much different than WWB combined with the fact that I use it for close range plinking.

As the other poster said, it can also be considered a hobby if you enjoy it and it does not matter what you save.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    Here's a different truth. Some of us reload because of the cost factor. My original equipment and materials costs were recovered at about round 1200. I reload 9 mm for about half of what factory 9 mm costs. Hence, I can shoot twice as much for the same money. The time reloading is a rewarding hobby that certainly beats sitting in front of the TV most evenings.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm getting a single stage press, to me I don't mind keeping it slow. I don't shoot thousands of rounds a month so it should keep me going for a while. I know the price of the gear will be recouped but it will be it might take years.

I have been saving brass for a few years so I have a nice stock pile collected. And I thought about casting my own bullets but with some of the speeds the lead could come apart.

I understand reloading is a hobby in its self, I think it will be fun. That is what I mean by the learning skill aspect in my post. I have thought about getting a rifle for long range shooting and reloading would be a good benefit with long range.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Depending on the cartridge you're reloading and the equipment you purchased, it's EASY to break even at 1,200 rounds, or a lot less. It's only if you load the more common 9mm/223/308 stuff that it takes longer to realize a return on investment. I reload 44/40 cartridges. They run about $1.20/ea IF you can find them. I can reload them for less than $.20, easily. So, if I'm saving $1 a round and only have about $300 tied up in a Lee Classic Turret, dies and a few other items...well, that's easy math.

But, you were right to point out that most folks will not stick with reloading if they ONLY do it for the savings. Those of us who have reloaded for 25 years or more do it because we enjoy the hobby. Reloading is very relaxing and can also be quite rewarding, if shooting great groups or harvesting game with your own bullets means something to you. In the final analysis, most reloaders don't really save much money, they just shoot a heckuvalot more on the same amount of coin.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I reload for all the above plus the precision I can achieve at 600+ yards with rounds built based on my gun's chamber dimensions. When you compete in NRA Highpower Rifle, it's all about minute of angle.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    You should go for it just for the skill factor that you learned a new trade. You have lots to learn and it takes time. The truth is when you reload you will end up shooting more so the savings won't show up but you are saving money. I paid for my equipment at about the 8000 round mark. But the knowledge gained was worth more than that. Do it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I agree with most of the above posts. You won't do it to save a lot of money, but you can shoot more.
    I'll certainly say that whether you get into reloading now or later: save ALL your brass that you shoot from now on- in any caliber. Don't keep the steel stuff, but keep ANY brass you can.

Now... considering the calibers you mentioned, it might not be worth it. (my $.02, others will disagree)
    The main advantages of reloading would be to make higher quality ammo, learn reloading and ballistics as a skill, not be (as) stuck when another panic hits.

If you do get a 7.62x25 or 9x18 pistol, then certainly reload! for 9mm and 223, you won't save much (assuming you get ok prices on the ammo to begin with)
    I just got into reloading and did it so that I can reload .38 spl & .357 magnum - which were $.40-.50/ea. I can reload for $.16 (because I already have brass on hand)
    I'd say get the reloading setup (consider not only the press and basic accessories, but also the dies for your caliber(s), primers, powder, and projectiles, etc.) It's easy to lose sight of these things when pricing a press. Plan on at least $100-$150 on top of the price of the press to get 1 set of dies, and 1k primers, 1 lb of appropriate powder, and 250-500 projectiles. If you're willing to shoot lead, projectiles are cheaper, but not drastically so.

In the end I say go for it, but don't brag to the wife that you'll be saving a ton of money up front - quite the opposite. In The long run it will save you money, but look at it as more of a hobby that you'll have to fund up front. (I was actually considering getting another handgun instead of my reloading gear, but I couldn't justify having my current guns sitting around with limited ammo on the shelf).

P.S. DON'T change calibers just cause you want to "get the most value" out of your reloading gear. almost any other caliber (.40, .45, .308, .357, etc) will let you shoot for noticeably cheaper than your current calibers, but then you are talking about getting new guns, etc.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    P.S. DON'T change calibers just cause you want to "get the most value" out of your reloading gear. almost any other caliber (.40, .45, .308, .357, etc) will let you shoot for noticeably cheaper than your current calibers, but then you are talking about getting new guns, etc.

At the same time, IF you know you're going to be buying different guns, chambered in cartridges that are a lot more expensive to buy, it makes sense to get into reloading, now. One of the great things I've enjoyed about being an experienced reloader is that it opens up the world of wildcat rounds, which I feel are much more interesting than all the boring, common stuff. You won't save any money if you start getting into wildcats, though! :)

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne

I did think about that also but I came to the same conclusion. I know my current calibers are some of the cheapest to shoot because I bought them for that reason. I have stayed away from the 45 because of the ammo price.

My thought is start in the 9mm because it's easyer to reload and I can learn all the basics with that one. Then go up to some other stuff. I kinda want to get a 30-06 and that would be a nice one I bet.

I have looked at dies also but I'm planning in getting one maybe two to start and that's all. I can buy another every other month or so. Until I get all the ones I might need.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I bought into the big savings line myself. But I am glad I started, as it is an interesting way to spend your time. I have a single stage and have decided that I will not waste my time with high volume rounds like 9, 45 or 5.56. Instead I reload for .357, .45 colt, 10 mm, .308 precision rounds.

On your comment about having a back up during ammo craziness, the reloading components all did the same thing. So you have to be heavily stocked up with that stuff just like you would ammo anyway. So I am not sure how much of a back up it is.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I bought into the big savings line myself. But I am glad I started, as it is an interesting way to spend your time. I have a single stage and have decided that I will not waste my time with high volume rounds like 9, 45 or 5.56. Instead I reload for .357, .45 colt, 10 mm, .308 precision rounds.

On your comment about having a back up during ammo craziness, the reloading components all did the same thing. So you have to be heavily stocked up with that stuff just like you would ammo anyway. So I am not sure how much of a back up it is.

as a back up I'm the guy that will have some extra stuff set aside just in case of the shortage again. My current stock of ammo I have over a years worth and throw in the reloading supply's I'm about to start buying I will have another year pretty quick or at least that's my plan.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It's not just the cost per round, but the volume. My reloading setup (Dillon 550, case prep, tools, etc) pd for itself in about a year just loading 9mm, but I was also shooting 20k-25k/yr back then. That was comparing my reloads w/ 147jhps to wallmart whitebox 115gr ball. Even though I don't shoot now as much as I used to, I have saved many thousands of dollars in the last decade just loading 9mm, .223 and some .45.

Factory ammo is easier to find right now than reloading components (especially powder). If you think buying the ammo you listed is bad, wait till you want a certain powder and all you can find is gouger prices... so don't think you are escaping shortages by just now getting into reloading... it's probably worse than buying factory ammo.

-rvb

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Start with loading 9mm. it's the easiest one to learn on your list.
    I'm reloading 9mm for about $.014/round.
    I get bullets from Xtreme. 124gr round nose are about 7 cents each. (they have a 5% off special running now)
    Powder is about 3 cents depending on the kind you want
    Primers are about 3-4 cents each on average.
    Free range brass.

So, you see, there is still quite a bit of savings to be had over factory ammo.
    Buy power and primers local or at gun shows or here on the forums and you can save shipping and/or sales tax...

In general, reloaders are a bunch of cheap-skates (it's in our blood... right behind our little brass ratting fingertips)
    , so if there are deals to be had, you bet somebody on here knows where to find it!

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    if you are happy with lousy ammo for you guns, then buy the cheapest you can find. If you want to learn what your guns can really do, reload. I have never found a cartridge that, considering just the cost of the bullet/primer/powder and amortized cost of cases wasn't a lot cheaper to reload.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Here is another real truth- if you reload several different calibers then the investment in the equipment spreads out over all of those calibers. I reload 9mm, 40 S&W, .357/38 and 45. so usually with the addition of a set of dies and a shell holder you can do another caliber.

Top Bottom