• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluDeuce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Northern IN
    I'm about to trade my rifle for a different used rifle plus some cash, my ? Is should I have my local pd check the numbers? Also what about my old rifle will those numbers come back to me if something is done illegal with it?

Thanks

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm about to trade my rifle for a different used rifle plus some cash, my ? Is should I have my local pd check the numbers? Also what about my old rifle will those numbers come back to me if something is done illegal with it?

Thanks

I would check the numbers on the rifle & have the guy give me his DL# information. On your rifle did you buy it thur an FFL DEALER ?? If not it won't come up with your name;)

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I am not sure what the deal would be with the old rifle being used in a crime, but as long as you have a dated bill of sale you could show that you didn't use the rifle in the crime not sure if it could still be confiscated as evidence? Honestly though, rifles are rarely used in crimes so you are probably ok if you are relatively certain it wasn't stolen. Do you know/trust this person?

As far as your gun goes, get a copy of the DL and a bill of sale. If anyone ever comes a knockin' just show them you sold it to that person.

OR many gunstores will do private sale transfers for free. If you are really concerned, I would probably just have it officially transferred.

-------
    wow in the time I typed, 2 responses. I type slow. :)

Last edited:

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    You'll throw yourself at the mercy of the government if you have the rifles checked out. If you trust them to do right by you, then maybe you're on the wrong forum? :tinfoil:

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    It's all in what you feel comfortable with. You can exchange rifles and cash and go on your merry way. You could call your local pd to see if they will do the check for you, or you can go to a local shop and have the dealer do the transfer.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The chances of anything coming back to you even if it were purchased through an FFL would be very slim. There isnt a weapons registration in this state that would lead anyone to you. The only way that it could happen would be if the authorities could figure out the dealer that you purchased it at, and then find the sale in his bound book.

If you are concerned about the other guy being on the level, you could always go though an FFL, and pay him to do a transfer.

BluDeuce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Northern IN
    I purchased it from a local guy I found on armslist. Don't know nothing about him. Not to worried seamed like a good guy. Just figured better safe than sorry!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was under the impression that transferring through an FFL did nothing related to checking the serial # on the firearm, but rather was just the background check on the person who is purchasing the firearm. Also, I have never heard of an FFL that would process a transfer without some fee for their trouble. You can find FFLs that will process transfers usually starting at a minimum of about $25 or so.

Of course none of that is actually required for a FTF:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#private-record-keeping

: What record-keeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction? When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same-State” residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.
    There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.
    Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See also Question B3.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I was under the impression that transferring through an FFL did nothing related to checking the serial # on the firearm, but rather was just the background check on the person who is purchasing the firearm. Also, I have never heard of an FFL that would process a transfer without some fee for their trouble. You can find FFLs that will process transfers usually starting at a minimum of about $25 or so.

Of course none of that is actually required for a FTF:

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

: What record-keeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction? When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same-State” residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.
    There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.
    Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See also Question B3.
    You are correct sir the NICS check does nothing for running anything other than the buyers background only. If you get a dated bill of sale then IF the gun was hot or had been used in a crime BEFORE the date you purchased it then you are not liable. C-Y-A! Also when the gun is ran by LE we only get if it is stolen or not.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I can't remember the website, but I printed out a handful firearm transfer forms when I go to the 1500. That way I can enter the info from the sellers DL.

My only worry would be that the firearm was used in a crime, but if your going to advertise the rifle on the web. I would doubt that there is an issue with it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I purchased a 38 special handgun from an individual in a parking lot today. We were both standing in the shade, you could say we were both shady characters.

We both exercised the dreaded and despised "gun show loophole". In other words, I gave him cash and he gave me the handgun. We then walked away.

If it doesn't feel right, don't do the deal. Listen to your inner voice. If the guns serial numbers don't look right, don't do the deal. If the seller is evasive about the guns history, don't do the deal.

The chances of a gun offered for sale, being stolen, on this or any other internet forum is pretty slim, but still possible. You can always run the serial number through your local PD. A firearms transfer through an FFL won't check the serial number, it just checks you out. If you know you are legal to own it and possess it, I am not sure why you would want to do that.

Top Bottom