• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Whenever I've sold or traded a pistol if looked at driver license and ltch and signed BOS. If I sell a long gun, ruger 10/22, is the buyer required to have a ltch?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Buyer isn't required to have LTCH to buy a handgun or long gun.

THIS.

Nor is there any requirement for paperwork.

The only reason sellers might want to see an LTCH is to verify that they are selling to a "proper person".
    My LTCH is a 15 year old pink slip. That's plenty of time for me to take a turn for the worse and become "un-proper".

I suppose the next time a seller asks to see my ID, I will too - I want to know if they're proper.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    DL at least shows they had Indiana residency at some point, if selling a handgun.

Perhaps some police type can inform us whether IN has a revocation process for LTCHs?

Bill of sale = worthless.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    DL at least shows they had Indiana residency at some point, if selling a handgun.

Perhaps some police type can inform us whether IN has a revocation process for LTCHs?

Bill of sale = worthless.

They can revoke them, but I still have the pink slip and all the copies...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    But by looking at a DL and "pink slip" the seller has tried to establish a "proper person"...

Sure it may get one out of a criminal jam if the buyer goes at shoots up the mall/shoot/park with the gun you sold him.

Bet the civil lawsuits will come anyways to get you.
    Avoid it all take a small cut in your profit and have a legs do the firearm transfer so the other person goes thru the background check etc. Then you are fully legally/civilly cleared.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Whenever I've sold or traded a pistol if looked at driver license and ltch and signed BOS. If I sell a long gun, ruger 10/22, is the buyer required to have a ltch?

All the LAW requires is that for an Individual (FFL dealers can't sell a handgun to anyone under 21) to sell a Rifle, handgun or shotgun to an individual in Indiana is that the purchaser is an Indiana resident is of legal age (18 YO) and "that you do not know or have reasonable doubt that the buyer is legal to possess a firearm". I know several people that are completely legal to own firearms that hunt, target shoot, or just have firearms for home defense that do not have a LTCH (or want one). So I certainly would not deny a sale based on having a LTCH.

There is NO REQUREMENT that you investigate, ask for proof etc., in fact the BATF will not allow any person to access their website that has this infomation - only licensed FFL dealers. I make every attempt to follow ALL federal and state laws involving firearms and if I didn't know the person, I would ask if I could see his/her Indiana Drivers license, that satisifies the Indiana resident and age question, and no I do not record any information.

The only cases I have read about that resulted in charges being filed against a seller or person giving a firearm to someone involved either "Straw purchases" whereby a person purchased a firearm (knowing it was not for themselves) and sold or gave it to a person that they KNEW was not legal to possess one. Or they gave a firearm they possessed to a person they knew was Illegal and / or that they knew the person was going to use the firearm for an illegal purpose, IE to rob, intimidate or murder a person.

Top Bottom