• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Due to the recall, I have been upgrading the Triggers on my Remington 700s. The first center fire rifle I ever purchased was a Remington 700 BDL Deluxe back in 1985, before they came out with the X-Mark triggers, so that one predates the recall.

I have been replacing the triggers on my 700s with Timney triggers. Very nice crisp trigger, and pretty much just a drop in part with little or no fitting required, although I have heard that sometimes you might have to use a Dremel tool to widen the trigger guard opening ever so slightly. I have only done two so far and haven't had to do any fitting whatsoever.

Before I order the new trigger, just thought I should ask if anyone knows if there's anything different about the older 700s that would complicate the trigger replacement?

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You are aware of the recall?

Absolutely. That's why I'm in the process of replacing the triggers on my newer ones. I liked the Timney triggers so much that now I want to replace the trigger on my older one which predates the recall. Just wondering if there's anything different about the older 700s.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The stock trigger IMO are perfectly safe on 700s as long as someone doesn't dick with the trigger and adjust it wrong.

Lots of people out there think light is better but don't think to trust sear engagement.

Keep it stock or adjust it properly, they're fine. Any trigger can fail with enough crud in it so if you hunt hard just make sure the trigger is cleaned.

Replace if you want but as long as the user knows what they're doing on the stock triggers, they're perfectly fine.

Again, just my opinion

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The stock trigger IMO are perfectly safe on 700s as long as someone doesn't dick with the trigger and adjust it wrong.

Lots of people out there think light is better but don't think to trust sear engagement.

Keep it stock or adjust it properly, they're fine. Any trigger can fail with enough crud in it so if you hunt hard just make sure the trigger is cleaned.

Replace if you want but as long as the user knows what they're doing on the stock triggers, they're perfectly fine.

Again, just my opinion

My experience is that the Timney is that it's a much nicer trigger than the X-Mark, breaks like glass. No, nothing wrong with stock as a general rule, but it is a heavier pull. In my case there is something wrong with stock trigger as far as the rifles involved in the recall (6 out of 8 of them!), that's how I discovered the Timney trigger. In the case of my older 700, there is no concern as far as the recall goes, and my older 700 is one of the most accurate rifles I own, if not THE most accurate. I think a crisper trigger would improve that even more. Timney has a couple of different flavors. The Calvin has an extremely light pull, not so good for hunting, but great for the range. The 510, or 512 are heavier, but lighter than factory, and extremely crisp.

My question is if there is anything different about the older models that would preclude replacing the trigger with the Timney trigger.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Factory spring in Walker trigger seems to adj to too much or not enough, has no real working range.
    Change the springs.
    Brownells sells them.
    Adjust, test and when good, re-epoxy the adj screws.
    I used to get mine from work, last one was a beater 600 with a lot of slop. It was safe and repeatable at 28 oz.
    Even for a walking varmint rifle I find that kinda heavy.

Top Bottom