• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    In addition to what is often called a working pantry, I found an idea for a summer kitchen I like. More or less in a large air lock between garage and home. My slant will be more 4 season mudroom with a door to outside with the grill there.

Instead of the typical laundry room sink, I want something more rectangular, stainless and good for a dog washdown.

The heated shop in garage and mudroom in the house will join. Great way to keep mess out of the house.

Also, now that we have a central vac, they are the best. Easier to do the work, dust is in basement or wherever you put canister. I know some good cement guys so stained cement floors with area rugs only. Keeping the house clean is important in the best of times.

Now for an uber cool thing that happened by accident. Good friend built a large home in VA. He put a wood burning stove in the basement. It's a walkout. He also put a dumbwaiter in so he could run firewood in through the basement and then up to 1st and 2nd floors. It is right next to all fireplaces. Pretty smart but that's not the best part. He ended up getting a chimney effect with basement heat from woodstove down there! So if he wants he can open and close doors to let heat rise. This is the one reason I would consider a basement. Even just a partial walkout on one end is enough to achieve this.

When we first moved to our property, it had a very small house (22'X34') that had originally been a garage. I had a new house built 16' away from the existing house, then when we moved into the new house, I tore out walls and floors to make it back into a garage. Then I built a 16'X20' breezeway to join the new house to the garage. The well had been drilled right behind the old house, so after I built the breezeway, the well is under roof.

I never intended to climate-control the breezeway, it's made with 6"X6" posts with thin walls and large storm windows, with a brick floor and an open ceiling up to the vented roof. The gas meter is right outside the back of the breezeway, and my plan is to stub off the gas line and set up a counter in the breezeway with a two-burner gas cook-top so that we can run the canner out there in the summer. I might add a sink too, using a faucet made for outside applications (it shuts off inside the wall of the house, like a hose-faucet.)

That breezeway has already been really useful. For one, it's a mud-room, great for wet muddy dogs, kids, or boots. I keep early spring plant starts inside the south-facing windows at night, and in the fall we move all our potted plants in on cold nights to extend their life by a few weeks. It's a great place to hang herbs, onions, garlic and stuff to dry. And, in the winter time, I can store a full cord of firewood in there.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Along these lines.... I'm in the process of getting estimates to finish my basement.

This might be a good time to take certain things into consideration when finishing it.... Is there anything I should look into adding to the basement as part of the finishing process that would be good in a SHTF situation?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Super interesting thread thus far.

We have been passively looking for a house/property. The "old style" farmhouses have had the most appeal, exactly because of the traits listed in the OP. Our current home is very nice, but simply not conducive to a more self-sufficient lifestyle. It does not have a "working kitchen", lacks good storage, and the layout is more expensive to heat/cool.

Read a book a while back (I'll try to find it) that was written decades ago, that addressed this specifically. OUTSTANDING concepts. When I track it down, I'll post it up.

FOUND IT:
    The Have More Plan.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Have-More-Plan-Ed-Robinson/dp/0882660241
    Or, as a free PDF:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...an.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEWWs398GYzxmKVE6_wNUaBaNawlg

Gonna go re-read this right now!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Along these lines.... I'm in the process of getting estimates to finish my basement.

This might be a good time to take certain things into consideration when finishing it.... Is there anything I should look into adding to the basement as part of the finishing process that would be good in a SHTF situation?

I am going to say that an area partitioned off from your climate-controlled space to take advantage of natural cooling to serve as a root cellar would be worth considering. It can be as simple as building an insulated frame wall to partition off a section.

Super interesting thread thus far.

We have been passively looking for a house/property. The "old style" farmhouses have had the most appeal, exactly because of the traits listed in the OP. Our current home is very nice, but simply not conducive to a more self-sufficient lifestyle. It does not have a "working kitchen", lacks good storage, and the layout is more expensive to heat/cool.

Read a book a while back (I'll try to find it) that was written decades ago, that addressed this specifically. OUTSTANDING concepts. When I track it down, I'll post it up.

FOUND IT:
    The Have More Plan.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Have-More-Plan-Ed-Robinson/dp/0882660241
    Or, as a free PDF:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...an.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEWWs398GYzxmKVE6_wNUaBaNawlg

Gonna go re-read this right now!

Thanks for the good information!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I don't have a basement, my house is built over a crawl space. One thing I've given a bit of thought to, and it would apply to a basement as well, is how would I keep my crawlspace dry in an extended power outage. Right now, I have a backup generator for that. But, it would be nice to have some kind of setup for a manual pump for use if both the electricity and the generator were not available options.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't have a basement, my house is built over a crawl space. One thing I've given a bit of thought to, and it would apply to a basement as well, is how would I keep my crawlspace dry in an extended power outage. Right now, I have a backup generator for that. But, it would be nice to have some kind of setup for a manual pump for use if both the electricity and the generator were not available options.

I would start by trenching around the foundation and laying a perforated drain tile, and then installing a berm butted up against the foundation on the uphill side/any side from which water may enter. That should make the manual pumping a lot less intense.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

I'd suggest two things - if you haven't already thought of them: 1) Check your drainage and water table; then seal your basement so it doesn't become a swimming pool in an emergency. 2) Consider building a reinforced "safe room" able to withstand the rest of your house collapsing on top of it. Basically, a full-on tornado shelter in your basement, instead of relying on your ground floor joists to hold in the event of a tornado or explosion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom