• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yesterday, I went through a box of coins I've been given throughout my life from my grandmother.

I'm not sure how to go about pricing them out, seeing what they're worth, and selling them... Are there places to go that will give a fair price, or is it better to do a private sale (like here on INGO)

One, for example, is a large silver coin, marked 2001. Says 1oz tr .999, which I've seen as a label for silver.

I've also got assorted silver dollars, half dollars, and some odd ones here and there. Some dated back as early as 1921. Also a couple of $1 "Silver Certificates"... not sure if those are worth anything.

IS it best to hold onto these, or maybe find somewhere/someone to sell them to?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Some may have numismatic value above their silver content for older coins. New rounds and bullion coins will probably just have have bullion value (but not always, some silver eagles have significant numismatic premiums). You'll have to get a valuation book or do on-line valuation research to be sure. Don't sell without research. A private sale would be your best bet. Silver certificates are usually worth a very small premium unless in exceptional condition.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    The .999 coin is an ounce of silver ($25 approx.) The others are probably 90% silver coins. You can check the worth online.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I recommend Lost Dutchman Rare Coins in Lawrence. They will give you a valuation of all of you stuff and you can sell it there or take it with you. They have been coaching me ever since I got into silver.

They don't hide what they will sell it for, so you can also ask them about what the retail value of them is without feeling stupid. A lot of people just take a bag of coins in there, dump them out, and they will sort them and give you values right there.

All of the employees are really nice and trustworthy. I like to talk to Evan when I have a "dumb" question.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yesterday, I'm not sure how to go about pricing them out, seeing what they're worth, and selling them... Are there places to go that will give a fair price, or is it better to do a private sale (like here on INGO)

If you just want to find out the value of the silver in each coin, then go here:

Silver Coin Melt Values - Coinflation (Live Silver Prices)

However, the value of the coin may be many times the value of the silver in the coin sometimes even if they are in worn condition. "The Offical Red Book" is widely used by casual collectors and is published annually. Dealers use something called the "Grey Sheet" which is published weekly.

I'll second the recommendation for Matt at the Lost Dutchman. He and his staff are good people.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Silver certificates depending on condition could be worth a few bucks. I have seen them at shows from anywhere between 5-15 bucks. I think I paid 7 for mine a few years ago.

I would keep the coins, until silver prices rise or you reallly reallllly need the money.
    But if you want to sell, pm me.

Top Bottom