• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    The simple question is what's the best way to handle transporting firearms to a new state? If it was a smaller number I'd just pack them into the car for the drive but that's not practical in this case as too many to conveniently do that as I also need to transport the 2 dogs for the multi-day trip.

The 2nd question is much more complicated in that we are moving to Washington state. Not my preference by any means but short of divorce it is what it is. I'd rather not give up my arms or standard capacity magazines that the state has currently banned so looking for ideas. I'll also reach out to a lawyer in the state but really not sure how this is going to turn out. One FFL there said to just bring them - but that sounds like it's inviting a lot of trouble.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The simple question is what's the best way to handle transporting firearms to a new state? If it was a smaller number I'd just pack them into the car for the drive but that's not practical in this case as too many to conveniently do that as I also need to transport the 2 dogs for the multi-day trip.

The 2nd question is much more complicated in that we are moving to Washington state. Not my preference by any means but short of divorce it is what it is. I'd rather not give up my arms or standard capacity magazines that the state has currently banned so looking for ideas. I'll also reach out to a lawyer in the state but really not sure how this is going to turn out. One FFL there said to just bring them - but that sounds like it's inviting a lot of trouble.
    Just give them to me, it's the easiest way to go. :):

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Absolutely make the donation to d.Kaufman. Problem solved.

But seriously I would check to see if there is an INGO equivalent out there? Check with your soon to be senator, and consider perhaps parking a few potentially banned items with a relative in Indiana? That way you do not have to make any rash decisions.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Without sounding too much like a smart-ass, just sell them. INGO classifieds.

Keep what you know you can easily legally transport and sell the rest. Start over again when you get the lay of the woke land.

:twocents:

Blazer90

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    I moved back to Indiana from WA State 3 years ago. You have nothing to worry about with your guns. The new laws only apply to new purchases. Large cap mags are a no no. You can’t transport them into the state to SELL. You are more than legal moving there with firearms. However any new purchases have to be up to their laws. I purchased a handgun there as an active Leo and STILL had to wait the 10 business days to take it home. Just be ready for high fuel taxes and housing. But you should make way more money out there depending on where you move to. Seattle / King county have insane license plate costs and you have to have vehicle inspections. Also insurance is way higher. Zero enforcement of property crimes.
    WA is a retreat state, can’t just shoot for someone stealing your stuff or trying to get into the house. Good luck you’ll need it.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I moved back to Indiana from WA State 3 years ago. You have nothing to worry about with your guns. The new laws only apply to new purchases. Large cap mags are a no no. You can’t transport them into the state to SELL. You are more than legal moving there with firearms. However any new purchases have to be up to their laws. I purchased a handgun there as an active Leo and STILL had to wait the 10 business days to take it home. Just be ready for high fuel taxes and housing. But you should make way more money out there depending on where you move to. Seattle / King county have insane license plate costs and you have to have vehicle inspections. Also insurance is way higher. Zero enforcement of property crimes.
    WA is a retreat state, can’t just shoot for someone stealing your stuff or trying to get into the house. Good luck you’ll need it.
    No making money involved since I'm retired.

My understanding, based on reading the bill and discussions on the WA version of INGO is that importing (which includes just moving there) is illegal at this point in time - though your answer is basically what the FFL said as well. I'm moving to the greater Spokane area so not as bad as Seattle - though Seattle, much like NYC, pretty much controls how blue the state is.

Last edited:

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Can you live in or near Coeur d'Alene or a surrounding area in Idaho? That's about 30 minutes from downtown Spokane.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Can you pack them in one of those pod things and have that delivered? Not something I would trust, but a possible option. Or rent a uhaul? If it were me, I would sell as much of it as possible before moving.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom