• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I have accumulated too many different calibers of firearms. How much wiggle room is there with brush size that is still safe to use in hundredths? For example: .38 brush on .357, or 40 cal brush on my .38, maybe .223 or .30 cal on 6.8mm?

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    As long as it gets the crap out and doesnt mar the rifling, youre good. The 357 and the 38 are often the same brush with certain companies and are also often interchangeable with 9mm. I wouldnt go too crazy with mixing up small calibers though. You run the risk of using something too big. I generally use 22 for 22.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    .22 is same as 5.56/.223
    .308 is same as any other .30 cal, like .30-06, and 7.62mm
    etc.

You can do the math to convert inches (caliber) to millimeters. If the results are even slightly close then you're probably good to go. But, like I said, I just grab one that looks right and give it a go! If it's too tight, don't push it in; if it goes in too easy then it won't clean.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you can push it through by hand w/out using excessive force, and the brush is snug, and does not deform the brushes you are good to go. Its really a non issue, the brush is softer than the barrel.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If you can push it through by hand w/out using excessive force, and the brush is snug, and does not deform the brushes you are good to go. Its really a non issue, the brush is softer than the barrel.

This ^^^

You're not going to hurt the barrel. Imagine the forces that are exerted on it when you fire a round out of it at several thousand feet per second.

Now imagine the forces when you run a light brass brush through it. Hardly comparable. Just use one that is "snug" but not "TIGHT."

Jarhead105

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Madison
    I would recommend getting an OTIS kit at your local surplus store, one that is universal, and has many assorted calibers. I personally own one that fits all NATO caliber rifles, pistols, and shotguns.

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Is it safe to hook a battery cordless drill to the shaft? I've heard this works great at cleaning with a brush instead of by hand.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I like to use worn 30 caliber bronze brushes in my 6mm and 223 bores. Worn meaning they are not tight in a 30 caliber bore anymore.

For my 38 revolvers and 9mm pistols, use a 45 stainless brush to scrub the lead out. If there is no lead, I just use a 38 brush.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Is there a special cleaner for the stainless guns? I've been using the Hoppes No 9 solvent & oil on my SP101 but there are a couple small light black spots that bug me. What's the best thing to use to clean them off?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I've used a 40S&W Tynex brush in my 9mm Glock barrels. You are only talking 1mm difference and the Tynex tends to be more bendable than a bronze brush.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus

^^^What he said ^^^

I use a .50BMG brush for my .45ACP's whenever I shoot cast lead. Very stiff brush compared to the ones made for pistols, lead fouling comes out quite easily.

Top Bottom