quick question on reloading with lead bullets.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I recently started casting my own lead bullets. From what I've read I'm supposed to coat the finished bullets with a brown goop type grease and let it dry before using the bullets in the cartridges. My question is what does the grease goop stuff do for the finished product and how nesassary sp? is it?
    thanks in advance.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I do not cast, but I do reload, every lead bullet I have loaded, for .357, has 2 rings, or grooves, that are filled with some kind of lube, I guess to make it go down the barrel, easier ?????

dleeharrison

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    The lube on cast bullets is used to prevent leading on sizing dies and leading of barrels. After casting, I lube my bullets with the lube (tumble coat, spread the rounds out on wax paper), dry overnite, size and load. There are some who re-lube after sizing and then load. I have always skipped the re-lubing step after sizing. There are some who don't size the rounds after casting. I have always sized my rounds and usually 1 out of 5 or 6 rounds are in need of sizing.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    From what I've read I'm supposed to coat the finished bullets with a brown goop type grease and let it dry before using the bullets in the cartridges.

I'd encourage you to read something other than what is published by Richard Lee.

Lyman, RCBS and the old NRA cast bullet manuals come immediately to mind.

My question is what does the grease goop stuff do for the finished product and how nesassary sp? is it?

The partial answer to that is, it depends -Are your projectiles properly sized to the throat/groove diameter, are they the proper hardness/alloy for your intended velocity, how fast you are pushing them?

http://www.castpics.net/memberarticles/Dale_Lube.htm

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I recently started casting my own lead bullets. From what I've read I'm supposed to coat the finished bullets with a brown goop type grease and let it dry before using the bullets in the cartridges. My question is what does the grease goop stuff do for the finished product and how nesassary sp? is it?
    thanks in advance.

For 10mm and 44's, I have my cast bullets set for 7-10 days, then a quick bath in Alox after sizing, then load em.

For my rifle loads, I have a recipe and pan lube them after sizing.

Goggle "Cast Boolits", enjoy!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For 10mm and 44's, I have my cast bullets set for 7-10 days, then a quick bath in Alox after sizing, then load em.

For my rifle loads, I have a recipe and pan lube them after sizing.

Goggle "Cast Boolits", enjoy!

+1:)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Here is a quote from Cast bullet reference on lead alloy's, min / max pressure, lube, shrinkage,

B
    ullet lube is pumped from the lube groove to the barrel surface by compression, linear acceleration and radial acceleration. In addition, lube is injected forward during the firing process, as the result of high-pressure gas leakage into the lube groove. This injection process forms a floating fluid gasket around the bullet, and serves to limit gas cutting and is a kind of ballistic stop-leak.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I started casting just a few years back. A few hours at the castboolits site prior to starting was time well spent. You'll find a wealth of good info on all aspects of casting and shooting.

Top Bottom