• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    I tried both of these pistols out this week and formed some pretty solid opinions about them.

-The grip length is the perfect mix of short and average. Even with the flush magazine, you can get the pinky involved in the grip, not full on, but its there to help manage follow up shot speed. Much of this has to do with the relief under the trigger guard, which was excellent. It also causes the trigger to be moved ahead just a little which makes the length of pull feel just right given the small frame. Granted I have big hands and narrow fingers, so it may be different for you. I have never had such a perfect mix in a little gun.

-Its thin profile absolutely vanishes AIWB, even with the extended magazine. I was REALLY impressed with it's concealment ability.

-Grip texture was aggressive, providing good purchase, but not sharp. Shooting all day would be no problem, and it won't ruin your clothes.

-The weight was great. Very light for a firearm of its size, but enough to manage recoil really well. The 3 series was perfectly balanced, and the 4 a little front heavy. The 4 was an absolute pleasure to shoot, and there was a noticeable difference in follow-up shots. In the holster, it was the better choice too.

-Fit an finish was excellent, save two issues. The 4 series had some paint missing in the rear left sight, and the ambi mag release was very stiff. No problems on the 3. The rest of it was very impressive, even on the inside.

-The sights were easy to pick up, and though I have never used a fiber optic on anything but a trap gun, it was pretty nice. I'd still prefer night sights.

-The trigger was crisp with little over travel and a nice, audible, short reset. I'd say a few, hardly noticable ounces heavier than a stock Glock out of the box.

-No issues feeding any of the ammo. Several types of hollow points and FMJ were used.

-Now for the grip safety. From the holster, I never had any issues, and purposely ignored the fact that it had one to see if there was any learning curve to it. However, I noticed it picking it up of the table and after reloading during strings of fire. I didn't manage to miss it during range time, but I did once fooling around with dry fire manipulations. The obvious solution to the whole thing (outside of 86ing the damn thing) is to make the length of it along the backstrap about and 8th of an inch longer...a measly 8th of an inch! As it stands, its just a little too short to avoid the occasional issue IMHO. It currently relies too much on the web of the hand. With a small grip and large hands...well...its a short coming.

Verdict:

For a guy who likes small guns, Springfield nearly nailed it...so close in fact, that its criminal. It is near perfect a single stack belt gun as possible...except for the grip safety. I am heartbroken in a way, because its that good overall. The grip safety kills it for me though...WWWHHHYYYY?!?!?!?!

If it didn't have that, I would retire the Glock 26 in a heartbeat. Well at least as an EDC.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Nice wright up. I have the same hangups on the grip safety. If the XDs4 didn't have one. I would probably be looking to get one and not messing around looking at Kahr and Sig single stack 9s. I love Springfield products, but never go into the XD line until the XDs series came about. But since they kept the grip safety I am not interested.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Nice wright up. I have the same hangups on the grip safety. If the XDs4 didn't have one. I would probably be looking to get one and not messing around looking at Kahr and Sig single stack 9s. I love Springfield products, but never go into the XD line until the XDs series came about. But since they kept the grip safety I am not interested.

Likewise. I gave it the college try, and if it weren't for the grip safety, I'd be wearing one right now. I am back to my stance on the PPS. So far its the best of the bunch in a single-stack 9mm (without a traditional manual safety that is). I've literally tried them all.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I had an XDs in .45 and did not like the felt recoil in that model. Shot a Kahr CW45 at the same time and preferred that. However, if they come out with the 4.0 in .45 acp, I will have to try it again.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Never understood the whole drip safety deal. I've never had an issue. Xdm or the XdS, dry fire- live fire or any other scenario you can mention such as, the people that were
    somehow able to rack the slide without the grip safety depressed,(not sure why you would have that type of poor grip to complete that function anyway) hence the recall.
    Only logical explanation I remember was chezuki...

"Definitely the grip safety. It's absolutely unnecessary in a striker gun and prevents you from using your thumb to keep the slide in battery should you need to shoot with the muzzle buried in someone's midsection."
    :twocents:

"

"

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Maybe I'm not training with mine (XDm and XDs) correctly to have an issue with the grip safety. Personally, I want some type of safety on my EDC and since I'm left handed, I've never like the traditional thumb safety on the left side of a firearm. The XDs/m is a good solution for me.

As you said, they're a joy to shoot. I'm getting more and more accurate every time I take them out.

One thing I've learned in my research is that when feeding the first round of Hornaday CD on the XDs, release the slide lock rather than trying to rack it yourself. I'd say that 90% of the time when I rack the slide, the round gets hung up on the ramp of the barrel. When using the slide lock, it feeds 100% of the time.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Likewise. I gave it the college try, and if it weren't for the grip safety, I'd be wearing one right now. I am back to my stance on the PPS. So far its the best of the bunch in a single-stack 9mm (without a traditional manual safety that is). I've literally tried them all.

Since you've tried them all, out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the M&P Shield? I've tried the PPS and currently own a Shield and greatly prefer it over the PPS. Like I said, just curious...

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Since you've tried them all, out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the M&P Shield? I've tried the PPS and currently own a Shield and greatly prefer it over the PPS. Like I said, just curious...

The external safety is the main reason. If that sucker inadvertently is engaged whilst moving around all day, and it's happened to two friends of mine who own and carry them...well lets just say the lever is microscopic...I'd hate to have to find that thing when the chips are down. It's a personal thing. I honestly like everything else about it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Does anyone know if the XDs-9 is +p rated? I have read articles saying the .45 is but nothing specific to the 9.

I would assume it is but I don't like assuming.

Top Bottom