• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhop28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yes I use it by no means an expert But it is amazing software used in conjunction with a chrno I use it to aid in dialing in a load working with barrel timing and pressure I believe if you spend the time to learn the software you will get back 10 times fold what you put in it the only downside is there really isn't a good place to learn it I have been searching for a forum dedicated to this with no luck but still an valuable tool I live in indy if you decide to take the plunge as far as update not sure but it has a huge database

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    QL is a great piece of software, but is mostly valuable for those working with wildcat cartridges, or very old cartridges and new reloading components. For a serious reloader, it is almost invaluable, but it's really just complementary to advanced reloading techniques. You still have to really know what you're doing because you can't rely on the modeling software in QL to create safe load data for you.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have used it for maybe 10 years. I prefer it to any load manual ever published.

Neco themselves release data updates a couple of time per year, but custom bullet specs can easily be entered and save. Powders can as well but the necessary values must be derived or sourced and that isn't easy.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been using it for a couple of years and it's one of the more enjoyable tools I've used when I'm working with powders that it covers. The biggest downside to the tool is when you want to check a load, or after you bring home a powder you had not used before only to find out that QuickLoad does not cover it. I've found it to be reasonably accurate and have a lot of fun to calculate loads, then build them and run them across the chrono to see how they compare. I've had a couple that chrono'd within 10fps of the predicted velocity.

The only frustrations with it have been regarding the number of powders it does not cover. That, and from what I can tell, there has only been one update to the data in the last year and that will cost $16 to obtain. I don't mind the cost so much, but do wish they would provide a list of powders and bullets that it covers. $16 for additional powders that I use is an easy sell, but if the powders are among those that I cannot find anyway, it's wasted money.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Another thing to know about QL is that it isn't as accurate at modeling straight-walled pistol pressures as it is bottle-necked rounds. It's really most useful for for rifle cartridges of medium to higher pressures.

Top Bottom