• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I posted earlier in the week about receiving my first M1 Garand from CMP, thread located here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/386562-my-first-garand-arrived.html .

I was immensely excited about it, and couldn't wait to show my Grandpa. He is the person I blame my passion for guns and history , as he is a "gun guy", and is responsible for my exposure to firearms. He loved it! After he had checked it out, he told me to come upstairs with him to his gun room. He pulled out his M1 carbine and told me to take it home. It is now mine! I am so grateful, and arsenal seemingly got "legit" quickly.

Garand is a CMP special. Springfield '43 receiver.

Carbine is Underwood late '43 reciever, bolt, trigger housing, with '44 Inland barrel, SA M2 stock.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USA!!
    308c3f23-3059-4ba9-9972-31ba16f0cccc_zps8k8bspw8.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You're a lucky man...from a couple of different perspectives.

(I can only wish I got to know either of my grand fathers.)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing your heartfelt moment between you and your Grandpa. (I hope blue falcon doesn't see this thread)

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Looks like you got that Garand stock oiled. Looks great. The carbine is so special arriving to you like that. That gun will feel special the rest of your life. Get Grandpa to go shoot it with you. Make sure to take pictures. Many of us here wish we still had that opportunity.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    those look awesome, thanks for sharing!
    What a couple of classics. You need to put in your will that those can NOT be sold (unless you wanna sell 'em to me, of course), otherwise, when money gets tight, it might be tempting to sell one or both of em. (I hope yous son wouldn't think so, but just from experience, this tends to be the case)

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    I bought a service grade last year before the price increases and couldn't be more pleased. And still have the fever to add to the collection. It's went ping every time without a failure.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Awesome pic!!! Hammer24!!!! dittos on the get him to go out and shoot with ya and take pics and video!!!! When I got back from Iraq, my great uncle and I shared war stories from Italy and Iraq. His were a lot more memorable to me. At the funeral his son got all his memorabilia, but I got the stories to go with the stuff!!! So please set down with him and hopefully he'll "open" up to you...the memories are priceless and need to be passed down..

1motime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    Clarksville
    Awesome pic!!! Hammer24!!!! dittos on the get him to go out and shoot with ya and take pics and video!!!! When I got back from Iraq, my great uncle and I shared war stories from Italy and Iraq. His were a lot more memorable to me. At the funeral his son got all his memorabilia, but I got the stories to go with the stuff!!! So please set down with him and hopefully he'll "open" up to you...the memories are priceless and need to be passed down..

^^^^ Couldn't agree more. Make plans to go to the range with your grandfather. He may not open up with you recording but definitely record him shooting.

Top Bottom